Damp Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of damp in my hallway. I have been advised to hack away the contaminated area and re-plaster. Is this sufficient to sort the problem, or is there some magic solution or chemical i should apply to the affected area before plastering to kill any salts or other nasties?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'm well aware of the minority that subscribe to that view.
The reason I pointed out the guide to rising damp is because it has a very useful section on distinguishing between the main types of dampness that affect buildings.

The "does rising damp exist" argument is probably one of the most boring debates in history. Having identified and successfully treated rising damp on several occasions I am firmly of the belief that it does exist. Exactly how it occurs is of no practical interest to me. I had damp and now I don't, therefore I am happy :D Anyone want to talk about soemthing really interesting?...like...the effect of sulphates on electrical moisture meter readings... I do love to talk dirty.

Sponsored Links
Frederick, you're very dismissive about this. If those who subscribe to the view are in a minority, then why was only one forum member ready and able, from first hand experience, to attribute a damp problem to being rising damp?

Is it because it's a boring debate, or because so many of the majority have a vested interest in propogating what now believe to be a myth?

Don't get me wrong, I'm open-minded, and therefore will be reading the reference material you posted links to, but it was exactly that open-mindedness that led me to challenge the idea the rising damp is rife.

Have a look e.g. for a leaking pipe (including radiators as I imagine you do not have a sink in the hall) or water getting in round a crack around or under the front door. When you say hallway, is this an internal wall, or is it a wall where the other side is onto the garden or something? How old a house have you got?

If it is an external wall, go outside with your umbrella and torch next time it rains heavily, look for water coming from gutters, drainpipes etc as well as from bathroom overflows.

Replastering the damp patch will not step it getting damp in future unless the cause of damp has ben found and corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back