Damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with damp on the lounge outside wall. It originally started when we had a terrible time having new windows fitted. We eventually got another tradesman in to refit the lounge window but the damp problem still remains.

When we decorated that room after the window debacle it was painted with Johnstone’s trade Covaplus vinyl Matt. A few weeks later we noticed some efflorescence and small bubbles appearing through the paint and it started to lift away from the wall. On one side of the window I was able to pull big strips of paint off like it was wallpaper, virtually all the way up to the ceiling. The other side of the window was ok. I completely stripped that side and let the wall dry out before repainting it. These bubbles kept appearing though and I’ve been spot repairing them ever since. It’s now that bad I need to repaint the whole thing but am sick of this ongoing problem.

The room is above a cellar and the wall down there is bone dry so the moisture isn’t coming upwards, nor is it a cavity wall, the brickwork and guttering are sound, so I’ve no idea where this moisture is coming from. Question is how to tackle it??? There’s obviously damp in the bricks that needs a way out and that is through the paint. The brick face outside was treated a few years ago with a waterproofer so it is coming though on the inside instead. Would taking the plaster back to the brick then redoing with lime plaster and a breathable paint work? I’m hoping this would stop the bubbling and efflorescence. From what I’ve read it might still stain but I’d rather that than bubbling paint. Any other solutions that might work? All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
These photos were taken when I stripped the paint off

1D72B0DC-5A51-4D0E-AB42-5C5FD4A36EA0.jpeg
59C8C9D0-6DE9-4E00-A3BD-C2293F2CE951.jpeg

Any chance of some more pics further back and of the outside wall where the radiator sits and the outside wall to the right of the rad as well?

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the damp is coming from the corner and not the window but it's hard to tell

I haven’t got any from further back unfortunately, this shows a bit higher up and also the bubbling which has been worse by the window. It’s funny you should say about it coming from that corner as my mum is sure it’s coming through from the house next door which is quite damp, but is that really feasible? I guess I’ve always connected it to the window as that’s when the problem first arose. I don’t have any photos of outside, will take some tomorrow.

CF51DEF0-D6C0-4F9F-AF93-D9E782D4A963.jpeg
36A39CC3-47AF-4229-84F8-8C6D9B4443EB.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It is possible , your mum could be right , it could be a pipe leak from next door.

You need to strip all that paint off to find where the leak starts , I've just noticed mould in the corner above that brown shelf?

Can you get behind that wooden panel under the shelf to see if there is damp there?

I am currently very doubtful your windows are the issue

OP, as above, photos needed showing large context's of interior and exterior, and details esp of frame sealing?
the boxing in the lounge needs opening up and investigating.
can you post a clear pic of the chimney breast?

out back do you have a party/dividing wall that butts up to the outside of the brickwork?

you will need to remove all affected plaster to 300mm - 500mm above and beyond any damp signs.
you will probably need to remove some skirting and perhaps all the boxing in and even the rad?

directly below in the cellar, looking up - can you see any signs of water? are the GF joists open?

guessing is useless - you will have to go and see whats happening at the neighbour's.
checking that water is by-passing or leaking is a pretty simple matter - where its leaking is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back