Damp problem!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I moved into my house a 12 months ago. It had been empty for approx 8 weeks before me moving in but basically it's a 1890 terraced house with cellars.

When I open the kitchen cupboards (floor level) an unpleasant smell lingers in them. I inserted a number of air bricks outside as there didn't seem to be any at the rear of the property. I done this hoping that the rear of the building could breathe. However, still I get an odd smell when the doors are open.

Could this be a damp course problem? Should I get someone round to inspect? Please advice.

Thanks
Cameron

Sponsored Links
I assume when you did the air bricks you also put them on the inner leaf under the floor?

As you have cellars, I presume you have a wooden floor? Or is it solid? There might be musty air coming up from the cellar (cellars are generally damp and may have fungus in them).

Is there any sign of damp on the floor, e.g. from plumbing leaks?

Any dead mice or grime under the cupboard?

Hi there,

with the air bricks, I just put them om the outside. Can't see how I could put them below floor level on the inside. Could I just put a hole from the outside through to the inner layer and then insert the air bricks?

As for the cupboards, when I originally checked them out before putting the air bricks in I found a pile of what I would call rubble behind the back panel of the cupboard. When I felt it felt damp so thats when I went outside and discovered the lack of ventilation into the brick work. When I broke through the outer layer of bricks to install the air bricks a strong whiff of stale air came gushing out so I thought I'd cracked it.

As for the cellars, the floor is always very cold and sometimes does feel damp. The kitchen where the problem seems to be isn't actually over a cellar. The kitchen is build up if you know what I mean. ie: when I step outside the kitchen door I go down 3 steps to get to what I would call ground level. The cellars are under our lounge and dining room. The very old plaster on the cellar ceiling is slowly falling down but I've put this down to the fact that we have a washer and dryer in the cellar. The washer is giving off moisture and then the dryer drying things out and deteriorating the plaster. Could this be right?

IF I were to get someone in to a) check it out and b) do a damp proof course, what do you think it would cost approx?

Thanks

Please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
bodminman said:
... The very old plaster on the cellar ceiling is slowly falling down but I've put this down to the fact that we have a washer and dryer in the cellar. The washer is giving off moisture and then the dryer drying things out and deteriorating the plaster.

I can't see how that would happen. Obviously, you have got plenty of ventilation in your cellar... haven't you? Cellars in old houses are intrinsically damp and will stay that way unless you spend a lot of money having them tanked, so you need to ventilate the damp away.

What would be the easiest way to ventilate the cellar? I have a hatch that leads to the outside which has 50p piece size holes drilled into it. Is it a case for an extractor fan!?!

Thanks

Most important thing is to have ventilation on two (or more) sides so that you get a through draft. Air bricks would do but you need four on each side of a typical house.

It is also easy to drill a 105mm hole in a brick wall using a core drill that you can hire - you'll easily do that many in half a day - and fit ventilation covers over them, as is used on extractor fans (but no flaps)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back