Damp proof membrane as Waterproof membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an upstairs bathroom and it been leaking sometimes.

I wish to lay some type of sheeting down to stop water passing through the cracks and into the downstairs ceiling.

So i have some dcm 1200 gauge. Can i cut this to size and place it down on floor to act as a waterproof membrane?

Was going.to lay over bathroom floor and then place plywood sheets on top and screw them in then floor tiles..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ridiculous idea. You will be building a upstairs pond with the ply immersed in it.

Mend your leaks.

Thankyou for your response,

There are no leaks.

Im just trying to find a way to prevent water in the future leaking through the gaps in the floorboards if there ever was a leak.

The idea was suggested to me by a plumber.

He said an idea was to put the damp proof membrane over the floorboards then plywood boards. Then lay tiles normally and use flexible grout.

Sponsored Links
Fit a vinyl floor up to all the walls and seal the edges.
Or get some polysafe and cap an cove it up the walls 6 inch.

Why would a plumber suggest waterproofing a bathroom?

I second vinyl flooring if you want to be safe, but more important is probably ensuring no pipes can leak, all pipe fittings are accessible for future inspection and repair, and everything is sealed properly.

If you develop a leak it is probably better that it gets to the ceiling so you can see it and deal with it, rather than having it hiding under the floor for months where it will cause serious problems.

Thankyou all for your advise. Can i ask what is a vinyl flooring. Or what is polysafe.

Its an upstairs bathroom, so of water say falls on the floor, it finds its way to get into the gaps and leaks through to downstairs.

Plumber suggested, i lay some form of waterproof sheeting ontop of floorboards, like Damp proof membrane, then lay plywood boards ontop and screw to floorboards, then i can put on normal tiles.

You can get waterproof tile backer board, surely that would be better?

I dont know what that is. Is it something u put down instead of the waterproof sheeting its mainly the corners i want to cover

What surface finish do you want - Do you want floorboards? Are you wanting a tiled floor? Do you want a vinyl floor?

What did you end up doing please?
And was it successful, I am trying to do a similar thing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back