Levelling compound on a damp proof membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I was recently advised to lay a damp proof membrane on my basement floor by a damp proof company. Unfortunately they didn't make it clear that I would need to lay a 50mm screed on top of the membrane. I can't afford to lose that height and I've now reached the point of thinking there wasn't actually a problem with damp - I'd taken the floor up some months ago and had a very basic plastic sheet down with some cloth material on top as a temporary floor and not seen any signs of damp.

So now I'm thinking what if I lay a levelling compound on top of the membrane - will that allow me to lay tiles on top? I had thought of laying aquapanels and then tiles, but apparently the adhesive for the aquapanels would affect the membrane.

So membrane, levelling compound, tiles?
Or membrane, levelling compound, aquapanels, tiles?

Any thoughts? I'm just worried that the levelling compound won't adhere to the membrane or will affect it in some way.

Thanks
nicole

Sponsored Links
nicnacs said:
I'm just worried that the levelling compound won't adhere to the membrane or will affect it in some way.
Yes you're right and the flooring compound will cracked as well, I think the only way without the dpm is use a bitumen coating such as Synthaprufe which is a cold applied liquid. Check with the manufacter regarding the flexible tile adhesive if it's suitable on top of this, failing that, then think about maybe a wooden floor tiles type with bitumen floor adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back