Damp proof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about ready to start re-decorating my utility room and toilet.

I've had a few bits of advice from people but just need to know exactly how to do one part of the job.

Basically I just want to redecorate the utility and toilet as they are about 30 years old and don't look to have ever been redecorated.

As part of this I want to improve the rooms.

After much research I think I have found the best way to do the floor which is:

Lay DPM on top of the concrete slab (slab already there),
Put 100mm Jablite Insulation over the top (staggered joints and taped)
Then lay 18mm T&G Chipboard to create a floating floor (with 10mm gaps at the edge and boards glued)
Tile over with standard floor tiles

I have one wall in the utility area which is single brick, I want to better insulate this, so I was going to do the following:

Put timber batterns on the wall
Use something like celotex cavity wall insulation boards with a gap between the brick and the celotex
Plasterboard over

So first off does this all sound correct?

Next I think there should be some barrier between the timber and the wall, do I just cut some DPM to go behind the timber?

I'm not sure quite what to do with the DPM from the floor do I just go across the floor then up 6 inches or so above the finished floor level?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back