Damp Proof under summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and looking for a bit of advice. I'll soon be building a log cabin. It will be built on top of an existing concrete base I have in my garden, which used to house an old stone garage. The problem is the concrete slab doesn't have any damp proof in it.

I want to put some damp proof under the cabin, but i'm wondering how best to do this.

The cabin will sit on top of timber bearers, which themselves will sit directly on the concrete slab. Would it be ok to lay damp proof over the complete slab, then put the timber bearers on top, or better to put the bearers directly onto the slab, then put strips of damp proof on top of the timber bearers (so between the bearers and first layer of cabin walls? I've read recommendations for both these methods on different forums, so i'm unsure which way to go. Any advice?

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Lay the wooden bearers on a dpc of full width, make sure the void is ventilated and the cabin will do well. It would be of no benefit to cover the complete concrete base, that would just allow it to sweat (trap moisture)...pinenot :)

Ok, thanks Pinenot. I appreciate the advice! Its the first time ive taken on such a project, and im starting to see that there are so many things to consider and think about...

Sponsored Links
Your more than welcome and that's why we are here, together as it were...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back