Floating Floor Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an old house that has a woodern floor supported on timber bearers that sit on bits of old slate that are on a rough cast concrete floor (that has no damp proof course or insulation underneath).

There has been some rot etc and I need to repair sections so I was planning to do the following to helpfully give some insulation also.

1) Paint the entire rough cast concrete floor with a liquid damp proof membrane paint.

2) Lay Damp Proof Course strips (the same used in wall building) under the wooden bearers as the slate is broken and missing in a number of places.

3) Add Kingspan or something else in between the bearers direct onto the concrete floor to hopefully add some insulation. What would be the best to go in this gap, there is about 70mm of space?

4) Replace damaged floor with some 18mm plywood or 22mm chipboard flooring, what is best in this instance where the house is quite old and damp.

Is there any advantage in either adding a pvc damp proof membrane sheet above the insulation before the wood goes down of on the concrete. I'm hoping the liquid DPM would be sufficent as the concrete floor is very rough and would likely puncture a thin membrane.

thanks

3)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back