Damp proofing a kitchen - cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to buy a house with a cellar kitchen, and a damp and timber survey has found dampness to the floor/wall joints in the front external wall of the cellar kitchen. A damp-proof course has been installed already.

The report recommends the following:
Drainage system
1. Excavate channel to floor/wall joint
2. Supply and install drainage system linking directly to exterior gully or surface drainage or to sump pump. Make good surface using concrete screed or similar.
3. Excavate ground to allow for sump pump.
4. Supply and install sump pump.

Walls
1. Supply and fix a plastic studded membrane floor to ceiling to walls marked.
2. Supply and fix timber laths.
3. Supply and fix plasterboard and skim.
4. Supply and fix insulation behind boarding using glass fibre, wood or polystyrene sheets.

The report also notes that the joint to the rainwater pipe leading to the stair well outside the cellar kitchen entrance has split, and recommends that the whole of the rainwater pipe and gulley is checked to ensure water tightness.

The kitchen units must be removed by others prior to the commencement of work, and no allowance in the report is made for electrical or plumbing work, or any building regulations.

I am trying to calculate the total cost - removal of kitchen units, their reinstallaton, electrical/plumbing, decoration and also the work to the rainwater pipe. I have no idea how to budget for all of this. Any ideas or advice would be great. I'll need to renegotiate the price with the seller and I feel I'm a bit blind at the moment.

For the above damp work I have been quoted £2910 plus VAT - £3492. Is this a fair price? With the additional costs on top, what price am I looking at realistically?

Sponsored Links
Get other prices,

As you will have to re negotiate on the purchase price of the property I suggest you get the highest price possible and haggle with the seller, who I am sure will also have their own price on the cost of the work, and hopefully both parties can come to an amicable settlement, which would include extra unforeseen problems.
You have an advantage that this is a "Sticking Point" with the property sale of which the seller is aware.
In the end it boils down to how badly you want that particular property and your finances.

Sponsored Links
Back