Damp proofing a suspended wood ground floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning on installing an engineered floor in my ground floor living room. The subfloor is of suspended wood construction, with wood jiost that i will cover in ply. There is a 3 feet void underneath, onto rough earth.

It is a little damp underneath and as part of the installation i will be improving airflow by introducing more air bricks at both ends.

There is a little damp smell down there and I am concerned about how to damp proof the floor. Should i seal the ply completely? Should i lay down a damp proof membrane? Do i need to align the damp proof course and the floor?

I have read conflicting advice, some saying you should seal completely and others saying you should leave air gaps so the floor can move and 'breathe'.

PLease help!
thanks

Sponsored Links
roll out a sheet of plastic across the soil and stick a couple of bricks on it to keep in place. This will reduce the amount of water vapour under your floor. When fitting the plywood leave a couple of mm gap between them to allow for any expansion. ( only very small on plywood ) It is good practise to also treat the plywood underside and joists to.

should i put some sort of membrane on top of the plywood but under the wooden floor?
I have read in places that this is a bad idea as the floor should be allowed to breathe, andthe sheet may create condnesation...?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks :LOL:

So what I am doing is this:

1. Placing plastic sheeting on the floor
2. Plywood, 18mm treated. Have been recommended to seal the gaps between the ply and walls with a caulk?
3. Insulation boards, 10mm
4. Depron insulation, 6mm
5. Underfloor heating matt - super thin film version
6. 15mm engineered board

All good?

thanks again for advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back