Damp proofing an old garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved house last year and inherited a 1970's concrete slab double garage.

I have an old motor I am restoring in there and everything has been fine, but with the never ending rain, I have noticed that the concrete floor is getting more and more damp which is not good for my projects !!!

How do I go about damp proofing the floor, without picking up the existing one.

Sponsored Links
Around the external and internal walls I would run a good sized bead of weatherproof sealant along the bottom edge because the walls are just sat on a slab of concrete and if there is a slight fall in the slab then water will run under the walls.
I don't know what type of door you have but this I very good at keeping the rain out;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-garage-threshold-seal-black-2-5m/37019
And here is how to fit one ( you can buy them in different lengths)
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/v...-door-floor-weather-seal-video_ae190dfbc.html

Good luck
Mike

Cheers guys. This isn't water ingress it is damp from the sodden clay soil underneath. I doubt it had a proper DPC when it was built, as it is not attached to the house and my garden gets VERY wet when it rains.

I don't think it is condensation Frank, there is no heat in there and plenty of ventilation !!

I did a good search last night and think I can cure it with a liquid resin DPC, painted directly onto the concrete. Thanks again guys. I'll check out those doors Mike. I plan on insulating and heating the garage when I get deeper into my resto project.

Sponsored Links
Checked out that link Mike. That looks great. I'm gonna get a couple of those mate. Cheers.

When I built a precast concrete garage, the manufacturers of it said put a concrete fillet on the inside only. It suffered from condensation. My concrete base was absolutely dry. If your one is actually wet then it was built too thin or without enough cement in the mix. You could try a french drain around it to try and lower the local water table. If you want to paint on an external DPM then the concrete must be dry first. I am a little alarmed because the DPM would be very thin, so might get damaged and any moisture that gets on to the floor (including condensation) will pool up on top of the DPM. So a liquid DPM with a screed on it for protection might be the way to go.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back