damp proofing cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have read alot around the subject and still can find a definitive answer. I have a small cellar about 9m x 2.5m and want to use it to store some things. the house was built in the 1905's and it used to be a coal room. the coal hatch has been paved over and the cellar has been painted white.

The is no crumbly paint or walls are not flaking it had be previously been painted and looks likes it was painted directly over brick. When you store things like boxes they go floppy and can see mold.

I know tanking is a solution but don't really want to spend tons on some additional storage. So what are you suggestions please?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Well just some ventilation could sort you out so its up to you if you want to try that or alternatively you'll be into running a dehumidifier permanently or tanking.

Sponsored Links
Ventilation is the key, if you haven't got any signs of water ingress then tanking won't do much if it is just for storage.

Thanks guys.

Alternatives I was think of was:

1. damp-proof paint????
2. run a dehumidifier for a hour on a timer?
3. Use a waterproof additive and skim the walls and floor as I was planning on getting this done in the future
4. damp proof injections

any thoughts on this???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back