Damp Proofing Suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Experts, need some help!

The garden backs onto my garage single brick walls. So 2 sides of the garage have garden against it. I can see the small single brick retention wall where the garden soil is touching the garage single wall but still every winter I see the damp.

I am thinking of insulating and plastering the garage walls but before that, I want to address the damp problem. What are the best options please. People have been suggesting damp proofing (K11, Renderlite) from inside the garage walls, Is it right approach or can we do something from outside?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The first thing is to remove the soil that is touching the brickwork, to below the DPC if your garage has one. Once that's done, you've more of a chance of tackling the damp issues within.
John :)

Thanks John, yes the walls have DPC. The problem is the height of the garden, I can not remove that much soil the way the garden is. Best thing would be to upload few pictures so that experts can analyse and suggest.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, Please check the picture.

unnamed.jpg
view

Personally I think for a permanent fix that grass needs to come down to the same level as the path in the foreground, and that would need the retaining wall continuing to hold the earth back.....would that be possible?
The could also be lesser issues with the existing wall returning onto the garage if it's prone to wetness.

True, I am after permanent solution mate. See the picture, that is what I am thinking. Do you have any idea about cost? Bringing the grass to ground level is not possible, but pushing it away with another wall seems a possibility.?

unnamed1.jpg

Once this is sorted I do not need to worry about damp proofing of garage walls from inside. Straightway insulated boards will do the job.

Last edited:
Sure that's about it - or continue the existing wall along, of course.
Sorry I can't estimate the cost - as a bricklayer I'm an excellent mechanic!
Does the wall ever get hit with bleaching rain?

Ah, I couldn't see the chamber.
With a single leaf wall, water could still come through if it's frequently saturated with rain but there are remedies similar to Waterseal which help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back