Damp - Should I do anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So i've just bought a 2nd floor leasehold flat that was converted and extended to 3 storeys in 2009 and was originally part of a pub built in 1850.

There is some serious penetrating damp coming through the bedroom wall, and leaked quite badly between viewing the flat and completion made obvious by the water staining that's appeared.

View media item 108016
I pulled up the carpet and in the corner of the room there was a couple of damp floorboards:
View media item 108005
I pulled up a board and found a millipede and a damp smell but the joists and other boards seem to be ok?

View media item 108008View media item 108011
There does however seem to be a crack in the external wall and I believe this wall is rendered, which has also cracked, so that will need to be fixed. Is it worth me trying to fill it or put a barrier on the inside?

View media item 108010View media item 108013View media item 108012
Looking along the subfloor that goes under the skirting it looks a bit messy,

But is there anything that I should be concerned about or treat, assuming the source of the damp is repaired?

Can the floorboard be cleaned and allowed to dry out and put back down?

When I had a survey done they expressed concern about lack of airbricks, should I need any on the 2nd floor?

My plan is that while i'm here, is to take up the floorboards, clean between the joists, friction fit fibreglass or rockwool insulation, plasterboard sealed on top and tape the top of the joists to help with sound. Mildly worried this won't help ventilation any - or just put another carpet down..

I have alot more questions but i'll leave it there for now.

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pics of the outside wall(s) would help?
You might also have a roof/ eaves leak - go in the loft & investigate.

Is the chimney breast on an outside wall or a party wall?
The chimney breast needs a vent installing where you have a blocked off fireplace.
Be cautious that you dont vent the flue coming up from the flat below: that would be potentially dangerous.
Your chimney stack should have a ventilating terminal/cowl for a redundant flue.

Replace the gripper & lift the flooring in that corner.
Remove the skirting & examine the back of it for rot.
The floorboards (& the skirting) in that corner are new'ish implying that they've been replaced - perhaps because of previous damp?
Some of the joist tails appear to be damp with minor rot - probe them for rotteness.
Damp brickwork can be seen.
No air bricks needed.

The plastic pipe needs fire blocking off as it pierces the floor carcass.

Dont "take up" the room T&G floorboards - keep it simple.

Pics of the outside wall(s) would help?
You might also have a roof/ eaves leak - go in the loft & investigate.

Is the chimney breast on an outside wall or a party wall?
The chimney breast needs a vent installing where you have a blocked off fireplace.
Be cautious that you dont vent the flue coming up from the flat below: that would be potentially dangerous.
Your chimney stack should have a ventilating terminal/cowl for a redundant flue.

Replace the gripper & lift the flooring in that corner.
Remove the skirting & examine the back of it for rot.
The floorboards (& the skirting) in that corner are new'ish implying that they've been replaced - perhaps because of previous damp?
Some of the joist tails appear to be damp with minor rot - probe them for rotteness.
Damp brickwork can be seen.
No air bricks needed.

The plastic pipe needs fire blocking off as it pierces the floor carcass.

Dont "take up" the room T&G floorboards - keep it simple.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This is where I assume the damp is penetrating in from above the windows:
View media item 108023View media item 108024View media item 108025View media item 108026
Odd that there is damp is on the floor aswell as above the window. Side view of building there is cracking in the render on that wall and a tree growing out the gutter..

The chimney breast must be on the party wall with the pub nextdoor. All the flats have the chimney boarded so it would be ok to add a vent?

There are a number of new floorboards, the flat was renovated in 2009 and before that it was derelict.

Quite a few boards have been cut/lifted and put back down with plasterboard screws so I plan to replace them with 50mm wood screws. I am worried using cut clasp nails could disturb the ceiling below.

The floorboards are just straight boards, no t&g. The underside of some of the boards look like this, does this need to be treated?
View media item 108021
I'm unsure what to do with the floor at this stage. I'm not a fan of putting carpet back down but I will need to do something to deaden the sound if I decide to just refinish and keep the floorboards showing.

Entry way: View media item 108003
I need the freeholder to get the repointing done ASAP but they seem to be avoiding me.

They do plan to sort the communal entryway since this happened recently:
View media item 108004
Thanks

First things first: you need an Expert Witness surveyor - there are far too many deficiencies showing for going much further on this forum. Much of what you show is not DIY work.
Why an Expert Witness surveyor? Because knowing that freeholders are excellent at wriggling out of expensive remedial works then issues could go legal or end up in court
Perhaps all the tenants could meet and arrange something?

The communal entryway water damage is long standing, it must have been an obvious issue?

The square edge floorboards are in need of anti-rot chemicals where fungus shows.
Use screws for most everything but stay away from cut nails.

The parapet wall walkway/gutter could be leaking. The brickwork is loose. The corner is dangerous.
The foliage will be blocking the hopper, gutter and down pipe, and drenching that render and the brick wall behind.

I cant comment on the roof - i've only a limited view.

Sponsored Links
First things first: you need an Expert Witness surveyor - there are far too many deficiencies showing for going much further on this forum. Much of what you show is not DIY work.
Why an Expert Witness surveyor? Because knowing that freeholders are excellent at wriggling out of expensive remedial works then issues could go legal or end up in court
Perhaps all the tenants could meet and arrange something?

The communal entryway water damage is long standing, it must have been an obvious issue?

The square edge floorboards are in need of anti-rot chemicals where fungus shows.
Use screws for most everything but stay away from cut nails.

The parapet wall walkway/gutter could be leaking. The brickwork is loose. The corner is dangerous.
The foliage will be blocking the hopper, gutter and down pipe, and drenching that render and the brick wall behind.

I cant comment on the roof - i've only a limited view.

That's really helpful thank you. I hadn't heard of an Expert Witness surveyor before.

Basically my priority right now is getting this room liveable so that I can start moving in but obviously want the leaks fixed or at least planned before I decorate.

I'm not sure how I can get the freeholder to make this their priority aswell. Am I right in thinking that they are liable for any damage caused to my property that's down to failure to maintain the structure of the building?

You're right, I am sure much of these issues have been present for years, the problem is that nobody that owns any of the flats lives there - until I came along they were all (3) rented out.
The freeholder has a shop and workspace on the ground floor and basement so really they have no excuse of not noticing the disrepair.

I knew about these issues from my survey and negotiated accordingly knowing i'll be liable for 1/4 of the repairs in my service charge but thought as long as the leaks were fixed then my property would be ok.

I'm not sure how I can get the freeholder to make this their priority aswell. Am I right in thinking that they are liable for any damage caused to my property that's down to failure to maintain the structure of the building?

"Probably", but we can't see your lease from here. This is what tell80 is alluding to, you're going to need some sort of legal determination here to force the freeholder to act and it could end up time-consuming and expensive. This kind of question is probably better asked [and probably asked already, for that matter] on the LandlordZone forums.

You're right, I am sure much of these issues have been present for years, the problem is that nobody that owns any of the flats lives there - until I came along they were all (3) rented out.

Don't want to be too much of a downer here but being the only resident leaseholder is just about the worst-case scenario...you're the only person who actually cares so expect an uphill battle. Documenting everything is a good start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back