Damp spots. 2nd floor close to gutter line and chimney flue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got some damp spots in a 2nd floor bedroom close the the ceiling. They're quite bad effectively along the gutter line outside but there's also a smaller section further down (see pictures). They are located where the chimney flue for the kitchen chimney is. My initial thoughts were the chimney was sealed off at the bottom so had the chimney vented but they're still there and getting worse if anything. The gutter wasn't fully functional so I also had that fixed but again they're getting worse. Before I throw more money at the problem I thought I'd ask you decent folk if you had any ideas before I proceed.

My two guesses at the moment include a hole in the roof near the chimney stack (see picture). This is almost directly on top of the problem so it's possible that water is running down the pack of the chimney stack. Another possibility is a plumbing issue as all the water tanks etc are above this area in the loft. But if this was the cause would it not be getting progressively worse? Fully understand if this type of thing is an educated trial and error process and too hard to speculate based on a couple of pictures.

Sponsored Links
If you looked back over some recent posts you will see that this, more or less, same question has been asked and answered many times.

Some of the tiles look a little untidy, and are pehaps kicking up.

The back gutter is either badly fitted or some debris is showing poking round the bottom on the lead flat? The tiles touching on the back gutter should be lifted and checked for water penetration below.

Sand & cement Flaunching on top of chimney stacks is a well known "weak spot" for penetrating damp.

When were the flues swept?

Pics of the back gutter, and flaunching and pots, and the guttering would help.

Loft plumbing is easy to check - go up and feel around all pipe and tank surfaces use an extension light, lift any insulation.
While you are up in the loft, examine the loft chimney breast brickwork for water stains.

Sponsored Links
Excellent cheers for the reply. Will go up and have a dig around in the loft this eve and report back. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back