Damp? Storm Damage? Blocked Air Vent? Dodgy Brickwork?HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A BIG help on advice needed!

My house is a 1908 large mid terrace house. I recently started to re-decorate. 2 days after I emulsioned the front living room and after heavy heavy rains, I noticed 'damp' to the dividing wall which seperates the front living room and porch\hallway The 'damp' is not on the hallway side just to the wall in the living room. I have also noticed the porchway laminted floor becoming a little 'bouncey' when you step in one area by the front door-im sure it will give way soon:(.

I have a broken metal air vent to the front and decided to clear this out in case it was connected (it was very blocked with litter and soil) and also noticed the guttering was cracked roughly over the area where the 'damp' was on the internal wall, so got the gutters repaired. However whenever it rains it gets damp to the touch again, yet doesnt fully dry even when not raining.

The damp proof course was done 12 years ago and I cant see damp anywhere else. It seems very coincidental that it gets worse with rain, so I have weather proofed the brickwork upto 5 bricks high from floor outside.

Photo of internal wall 'damp' showing height of where it looks like water is coming through;

Does anyone have any ideas?

Will my Buildings\Contents insurance cover this do you think??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back