Posted again: Issued with 'damp' on wall

6 Jan 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
A BIG help on advice needed!

My house is a 1908 large mid terrace house. I recently started to re-decorate. 2 days after I emulsioned the front living room and after heavy heavy rains, I noticed 'damp' to the dividing wall which seperates the front living room and porch\hallway The 'damp' is not on the hallway side just to the wall in the living room. I have also noticed the porchway laminted floor becoming a little 'bouncey' when you step in one area by the front door-im sure it will give way soon:(.

I have a broken metal air vent to the front and decided to clear this out in case it was connected (it was very blocked with litter and soil) and also noticed the guttering was cracked roughly over the area where the 'damp' was on the internal wall, so got the gutters repaired. However whenever it rains it gets damp to the touch again, yet doesnt fully dry even when not raining.

The damp proof course was done 12 years ago and I cant see damp anywhere else. It seems very coincidental that it gets worse with rain, so I have weather proofed the brickwork upto 5 bricks high from floor outside.

Photo of internal wall 'damp' showing height of where it looks like water is coming through;

Does anyone have any ideas?

Will my Buildings\Contents insurance cover this do you think??
Sponsored Links
is the down pipe from the gutters near the patch :?: OR an underground run of drain from said downpipe :?:
no to both. the pipe leading down from gutter to to far right of house and the leak from the guttering was originally to the middle of the house.

The air brick or ventilation hole at the front of the property did seem very blocked which is located on the outside of the house very close to where the internal wall and front porch are located.

I was told my my sisters boyfriend that when he pulled up the floorboards when fitting my central heating that there is a big drop (approx 4ft) from floor.
Sponsored Links
Caroline 1976 I incorrectly replied to the post headed "damp advice"
instead of you. Please check and let me have your response :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local