Damp through external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope I've posted in the correct forum.

I've recently acquired a house that was wallpapered everywhere by the previous owner.
I've taken off the wallpaper in one of bedrooms and found the wall plastered underneath.
So I put the filler in where necessary, made it smooth, coved and painted it white.

However, recently I've seen that the exterior walls just under the coving are developing a bit of damp/ mould. I also remember that the wall paper in those areas was falling off like anything. I can trace this in every room above windows and along top edges of external walls. This has started happening since winter has set in.

There is no damp or wetness in the loft and the windows are double glazed (look new as well).

Could someone please throw light on what's happening? Do I need to treat my exterior walls? Please let me know if you need any pics.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it this sounds like that common winter problem condensation.
Its always going to be much worse in the winter and is simply warm air containing moisture meeting cold walls whose temperature is below dewpoint result condensation.
Worse in older houses without a cavity.
Removing moist air at source eg cooker hood fan and bathroom fan and exhausting outside also keeping rooms warm which will raise temperature of walls to reduce condensation. Also opening windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back