Damp to rear wall of converted Victorian building.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a converted Victorian property. The flat below me on the ground floor is in the process of being sold and the buyer’s surveyors have detected dampness on the rear wall of the flat. As we share the running of the property – we own the freehold of the building – we are required by the buyer’s solicitors to obtain a dampness survey of our own and then take steps to provide rectification.

What is unusual about this is that a dpc was provided to this wall during the early eighties during the conversion work and the capsules can still be seen in the brickwork. Our records show that this was provided with a 30 year guarantee but further investigation reveals the company involved has long since folded. I am no expert in matters relating to damp etc but having made a few observations on both the inner and outside walls with the current owners and we can find no evidence of damp ie mould, smell or any discolouration on the plaster inside. Presumably the buyer’s surveyor used a dampmeter which has indicated an unacceptable level of moisture in the wall. But are these devices reliable? In anycase are there any steps we are able to take in order to avoid expensive remedial work?

One thing I have noticed however is that the current owner’s do have window boxes on the two window ledges and these tend to get watered rather enthusiastically. I would have thought that the effect of this would only be similar to heavy rainfall but is this likely to cause any damage in the long run? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but would have thought that if they are watering a lot then the boxes could have damp retention behind them.

Also, can anyone say if the meters they use to measure the damp would register if there was just a bit of condensation inside :?:

I know it`s a Viccy. house but does it have cavity walls :?: some do.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay.....been on holiday :p Right.old cav. walls can get a LOAD of old lime mortar fallen down inside -bridging the cavity=damp. could have told you either way,I guess :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back