Damp - Upstairs Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but it seemed a good place to start.

This is something I have been meaning to sort out for a couple of years now, but need some help in dealing with a mould issue.

It is isolated to under the window sill in one of the upstairs bedrooms. The bedroom is street facing.

There is a black mould directly under this window, it is approx 8 inches high and runs the full length of the sill, perhaps an inch either side.

I clean the wallpaper in the spring and paint over the area and all is well until the autumn/winter when the mould reappears. I can see that the wall behind the wallpaper is both cold and damp but it never spreads further up/down/across the wall, it is just localised to this area.

I do notice that there is a lot of moisture on the inside of the window when it is cold outside, so with my very limited knowledge, I’m thinking this may be a condensation issue?

I really need to get this problem sorted as we have a baby due in January and I don’t want her sleeping in a room which suffers from this mould issue.

Money is pretty tight at the moment so we really cant afford to get an expert in.

How would I go about (a) properly cleaning the affected area and (b) minimising/stopping the problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The first thing to check is outside from a ladder. Check that the water isn't going under the frame and down into the plaster. Use a frame sealent to block the route.

While you are at it look and see if the weep holes are ok if it is a pvc window.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back