Damp Problem - Help please??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a middle floor flat (2nd floor out of 3) and the bedroom walls (exterior facing) have started to grow mould on the wallpaper and is beginning to smell bad too! The worst area is behind edge of the wardrobe but also starting around the other corner by the window. My son's wall is also starting as well so concerned about the effect on his health.

The exterior wall has "some" ivy growing on it but nothing near the area where the worst damp is. There are no airbricks in the flat. I need to sort this asap and possibly as cheaply as possible. What can I do to:

1) Stop the mould getting worse?

2) Prevent it from coming back?

3) Find the cause?

Sponsored Links
cheapest way to kill it is with a bleach/water solution. Extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom will help keep moist air out.

... and if you can possibly avoid it don't dry laundry in the flat unless you've a vented tumble dryer to do it.

Sponsored Links
... and if you can possibly avoid it don't dry laundry in the flat unless you've a vented tumble dryer to do it.

Thanks guys, we have no fans in the place, bathroom or kitchen and simply resort to opening windows! :(

We have a tumble dryer in the kitchen but just open the window to release the steam, its not vented in any other way. Would drilling some holes through the wall behind the wardrobe do any good?

If you periodically have to empty a tray of water from your dryer you've got a condensing type which reduces (but far from eliminates) the amount of moisture being pumped into the air.
If it's not a condensor I'd get a venting kit from your local shed and hang the end out of the window when the dryer's on.
Don't drill any holes - not yet , at least.

Thanks guys, we have no fans in the place, bathroom or kitchen and simply resort to opening windows! :(

We have a tumble dryer in the kitchen but just open the window to release the steam, its not vented in any other way. Would drilling some holes through the wall behind the wardrobe do any good?

Are you for real?

Are you for real?

It's the design of the place what more can I say! :( Been here 8 months now and the damp has only just started. The window is on the other side of the kitchen so no way to get a venting kit to the window. The dryer is an old one which simply has a circular outlet for the steam to escape. For some reason there isn't an extractor fan fitted in the kitchen or bathroom, but the main problem is in the bedroom on the exterior facing wall. There is a small gap between that wall and the wardrobe which obviously isn't helping ventilation so what other options do I have?? :confused:

You really need to vent that dryer - even if it means putting the vent hose across the kitchen. Standard hoses will stretch about 10 feet extended and fold up to about 15 inches when telescoped. even better - look at ways to move the dryer closer to the window.
There's no point in trying to remove mould caused by condensation unless you eliminate the cause. Because it's a cold wall moisture vapour will condense out on it even though it's not visible in the air. It likes the back of the wardrobe because the air is relatively undisturbed behind it, so re-evaporation is less easy. Pull the wardrobe further out for starters & keep the window open as much as you can bear.

Well the smell of the mould getting a bit much in the bedroom now and I've just noticed some mould marks on the metal frame of the bed so I really need to sort this problem quickly. Forgetting the dryer condensation in the kitchen which is about 50ft away what can I do now to stop this mould in the bedroom? :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back