Damp Wall - no clue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m a first time home owner and have a damp wall - I have no idea what to do - can I just sand it back?

Any suggestions and help would be soooo appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
I’m not qualified, can you suggest who I need to call? I’ve called damp companies but all of them have turned me down!

It's most likely not a damp issue.
What is on the other side of the wall?

It could just be the remnants of a damp/leak or a ventilation problem which has been sorted, dried out and left some damage caused by salts or just some plain and simple staining. If either of these is the case, and the plaster is sound, then an alkali resistant primer may help cover the patches before re-painting with your emulsion. All loose paint will need to be removed and the area dry before using it.

Sponsored Links
The other side is the outside of the house!

Sorry, I am completely clueless!

Emma, just looking at your photo....
Can you show us where the damp spot actually is, and show us what is happening with that rain water down comer as it hits the flat roof?
Perils of the small screen etc!
John :)

OP,
You have penetrating damp.
Moisture could be by-passing the window sealing &/or coming through the render & crossing a bridged cavity.
Is the main roof gutter free from any blockages?
The flat roof gutter has moss build-up in it.
Ask neighbours if there's any history of damp cavity insulation in any of those houses?
Any damp signs on the ground floor below ceiling or plaster?

You could hack off all the plaster on that wall & the window reveals, and make good with a 3:1 render mix of sand & NH lime - dont use gypsum - & Limelite skim finish.
This will give you, say, 20yrs free from damp signs on the decorated surface of the wall.

FWIW: what you show has been there for some time - how come the mortgage surveyor didn't pick it up?

Your roof appears to have damage which could cause a leak and neighbours roof looks poor causing damp between the properties.

I dont see any damage to the OP' roof or the neighbour's roof - only the fascias and gutter can be seen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back