Damp Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've an issue with some damp on a internal non outfacing wall in my solid wall end terrace. Does any one have any suggestions on possible causes and fixes? From my understanding rising damp only happens on outside facing walls? The wall that has the damp issue is on the ground floor and has a basement below.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• rps20151124_101539.jpg
    rps20151124_101539.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Rising damp doesn't happen, but you can get penetrating damp, can be from many sources, any pics ? sketch of location.Usually a problem at roof level if internal.

Thanks for the reply, there's a picture attached to the post. It's on the wall between my house and the terrace house next door so the wall isn't exposed to any outdoor elements so that rules out penetrating damp doesn't it?

Although that wall isn't exposed to external elements, it still has foundations that will delve into the ground below. Its possible that dampness is rising through that supporting wall due to a bridged DPC.
Is there any possibility of checking the same spot from next door, and how easy would it be possible to lift a floorboard close by?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I can ask the lady next door to see if she is having the same problem. There's laminate flooring so it's difficult to get to the floorboards, although from the basement they seem fine (no signs of damp.

Lets have a pic of the supporting wall from underneath if you can, in the exact spot if possible.
There aren't any central heating pipes buried in the wall, by any chance?
John :)

I will have to get that picture tomorrow, it's a house I rent out to a friend, trying to get a company to come out and take a look is proving quite difficult! There aren't any central heating pipes from my side of the house that I know of, the pipes to the rads in the front room run under the floorboards of the basement, so I'm assuming there won't be any more.

you say you have a basement? It is unlikely that water will be able to creep from the ground all the way up the basement wall and into the ground floor wall. A leaking pipe is much more likely.

If it is a party wall then the leak may be on the other side.

Look for a radiator, or possibly a basin, sink, shower etc.

"Cold bridging" at the bottom of the wall, due to the basement being cold, causing condensation on the wall?
With a nice warm house, it doesn't take a terribly cold surface to cause condensation.

Hi, I've an issue with some damp on a internal non outfacing wall in my solid wall end terrace. Does any one have any suggestions on possible causes and fixes? From my understanding rising damp only happens on outside facing walls? The wall that has the damp issue is on the ground floor and has a basement below.

Thanks

Dave
Whats to the left of this pic, the skirting changes?

Thanks for the reply, there's a picture attached to the post. It's on the wall between my house and the terrace house next door so the wall isn't exposed to any outdoor elements so that rules out penetrating damp doesn't it?
No, rain can penetrate at roof level [especially at any join between terraced property] and fall thru the wall till hitting the damp course where it finds the quickest way out.

you think this house has a cavity party wall?

"Cold bridging" at the bottom of the wall, due to the basement being cold, causing condensation on the wall?
With a nice warm house, it doesn't take a terribly cold surface to cause condensation.

This is most likely the case. I had the same thing in a property i used to rent.

If you tape a piece of clear plastic or clingfilm tightly to the wet patch, you will see if droplets form on the room side of the plastic (condensation) or all the wall side (wet wall, probably a leak).

This is most likely the case. I had the same thing in a property i used to rent.

I think that it's what causes a lot of the cases of damp in properties, assuming of course that there aren't leaks from plumbing or roof or penetrating etc. Those could happen at any time of year.
It always seems to be the start of the colder weather when these type of damp patches start showing.
Bit of reading about dew point and so on here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back