Damp walls after neighbour had damp course fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a problem with both external walls (front and back) since our neighbour had a damp course fitted.

The damp is only on the edge of the wall next to them, not the other neighbour, and has developed since they had a damp course fitted last August.

It doesn't feel damp necessarily, but you can see patches on it. It doesn't seem to be on the wall that runs along between the houses either.

We didn't know that they were planning to have the work done, the first we knew was when the builders started sounding like they were coming through to our house! We never got a party wall notice (?) from them.

Do you think that their work may have caused our problem? If so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam

Sponsored Links
Maybe the patches you see are due to seepage of the injected liquid damp course, and not water at all.....I'd be inclined to test with a moisture meter first!
John :)

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on it for a while and it seems to be looking a bit worse. The marks go whole height of the wall, not just near the bottom. Does that sound like the seepage marks? I don't want to get someone out if it just needs redecorating.

I've never seen an injected damp course ( or rising damp, for that matter) ascend up the complete wall.....but I still reckon a cheap damp detector (£10 or thereabouts) would at least let you know if the staining was water.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Seems like a remarkable coincidence that this has only happened after they had a damp course installed.
How far up the wall does it extend? Rising damp will only rise about 1m above ground level.
Do you know the condition of your damp course, assuming you have one at all. I am wondering if the damp is finding the path of least resistance and since it cannot rise throught your neighbour's wall it has penetrated your's. I have no idea if that can happen but there must be some link between these events.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back