Damp walls problems (Ed.)

Might be worth finding a reputable drain investigating company to stick a camera down those downpipes.

All looks very old and dodgy - plastic into cast iron (probably 100 years old), vanishing into concrete. Might be fine but definitely needs ruling out before mucking about with magic chemical treatments and whatever.

And definitely get a spirit level on that concrete, find out where the water goes.

Sponsored Links
It's my view that the raised paving will always cause damp, and needs to be removed.

When it is broken up and the ground level restored to its correct level, will be the ideal time to dig out and rectify those bad drains.

My eye is drawn to the very wet area around that very old cast-iron drainpipe.

Almost as if the drain was broken or blocked....

As expected, the silicone injections did not repair the drain.

Time to get out your pickaxe.

Don't allow your "damp expert" anywhere near your house again.

View attachment 319409
And in that picture, it looks to me as if, at the foot of the bay window, the original slate DPC is actually doing its job. If I am not mistaken, the bricks below are saturated with water, and the bricks above appear dry.

That may be lime mortar absorbing a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back