water soaking into conservatory wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i have damp patches and drips coming from above my door main wall)that is in our conservatory. this only happens when the rain hits against the house wall. i have checked for leaks and resealed but it still comes through. on the main wall there are patches of damp appearing. is it possible that the wall is soaking up the constant rain and running down within the bricks..i had considered a sealant painted over the bricks..it is worst above the house door leading into the conservatory..

Sponsored Links
geoff01, Hi.

If you have a "relatively new" property and have added the conservatory then there is a good chance that the original external wall has absorbed a large quantity of wind driven rain water that would normally be evacuated from the cavity by the "weep holes" above areas such as lintels and at [generally] first floor level.

Weep holes are small vertical plastic inserts that go between the vertical perpends between the bricks.

I digress [as usual]

What is "possibly" happening to your property is that the wall above the Conservatory is allowing a lot of wind driven rain water to get into the brick and cavity. This wind driven rain then drips down the cavity and what then happens is that the water then "evacuates" the cavity via the weep holes to form the damp patches you are experiencing on the inner face of the "conservatory" wall.

Ken

thanks Ken,

i do see it coming from some of the weep holes..is it safe to cover the 2 or 3 up that are inside the conservatory. some of the damp patches arent below any weep holes. they are just appearing on the walls..maybe the conditions at present are that extreme there isnt much i can do..

geoff01, Hi

Sorry in delay, been busy in other directions [work]

To [I apologise] state the "obvious" you have changed what was an external wall, where the "weep holes" would evacuate the water build up to the open air, into an internal wall where the escaping water from the cavity is simply put, not welcome?

As for other areas of the wall where there are no "obvious" weep holes? this could be because rain water build up within the cavity is simply leaching out of the [what was] the outer face of the wall. The process going on here is capillary seepage between the mortar and the Damp proof Membrane.

Trouble is that if you block off a Weep hole, the "build up" of rain water [or Condensation] within the cavity will "evacuate" possibly into the internal area of the Conservatory in "other places" inside what was an external wall

I hope some of the above is making some sort of sense? I cannot think of a short or long term "fix" it is unfortunately a very common problem, could be that others on the board may have answers?

Ken

Sponsored Links
i have checked for leaks and resealed
tell us how the conservatory roof is sealed to the house wall. Is there an upstand? Is there flashing? Or is it just silicone or flashband?

thanks, it is flashing only..a stick on version that is heated onto the wall..comes in a roll...its like a tar type of flashing.. i have been up and resealed..looked for leaks etc...think it it just the shocking weather hitting this wall continuously. mainly leaks around the door frame..now the internal door. when the weather subsides and the wall dries i am planning on putting some moisture barrier on the brickwork above the conservatory to try and reduce if not stop this issue again..i have seen the stuff in hardware stores..i will roller this over the brickwork so hopefully less water will be absorbed and more just run off..

Geoff

I have a very similar problem on a property I recently purchased. I am working on the assumption that it is capillary action that is allowing rain water to be drawn in alongside the window and door frames and down the cavity - much like yours I suspect.

All walls (including the dwarf conservatory wall) are cavity facing brickwork but there is nowhere that any damp barrier could have been neatly installed in my view, so it's grin and bear it until it all dries out, then coat with a clear water repellent solution on the external affected areas.

Can't see any other way to address the problem.

thanks, it is flashing only..a stick on version that is heated onto the wall..comes in a roll...its like a tar type of flashing..

that's flashband, it's rubbish.

Perfectly correct, but mine is properly flashed and still suffers heavy rainfall wicking through the brickwork, so I suspect this is not the cause of the OP's problem either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back