External wall of conservatory sodden!

t0m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first post so go easy...

After all the rain this weekend I discovered a pool of water out on conservatory floor.

It seems that the 'original' exterior wall of the conservatory is soaked, you can even see the water line coming down the wall. Dripping has occured from above the door between the house and conservatory on this 'wet' wall'.

Even some of the bricks look like they are sweating with small water droplets resting on the exterior surface of the brick.

The house is three years old and the conservatory two. The conservatory is North facing with standard three sides glazed.

I have started to dry it all out with a de-humid and have called the insurance company.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
has your conservatory been fitted immediately below a soffit?

any chance of a photo? particularly the troublesome elevation.

noseall said:
has your conservatory been fitted immediately below a soffit? any chance of a photo? particularly the troublesome elevation.

Thanks for helping, I will take a photo later and post it up.

outside.jpg

It's all started to dry out but you can clearly see about the door that the first course of bricks now appear dry and then further up they are wet looking. Just after the rain all bricks were wet and water was dripping from the door frame. The wet 'line' is consistant across the entire width of the brick work and at the same height (more or less).

inside.jpg

The rain was so bad it washed away the brids nest in the eve (can just been seen). Is it possible the rain got in through the soffit and came down the wall that way! on the inside?

Any help greatly appreciated. The insurance company have said it's not a valid claim and has been caused by exceptional rainfall.

It was raining hard, we have never had nests wash away! and it's north facing which gets the brunt of the weather and rain.[/img]

Sponsored Links
cavity tray!

or lack of it eh nige f. :)

a cavity tray would have solved this problem, but would not have been installed because 'connies' are b.c. exempt.

it would normally be installed at the lead flashing chase. it is a tricky job at best and are not always insisted upon even by building control.

the moment you installed a conservatory the brickwork below the roof line became internal whilst the brickwork above remained external. but somebody forget to tell your porous bricks this important fact!

a cavity tray alleviates this problem by effecting a watertight barrier at the lead flashing abutment, keeping the masonry below dry.

ManThorpe01.jpg

image002.jpg

noseall, thanks for your reply really appreciated and it makes sense, just surprising that this is the first time in two years that we have come across this.

So the question is how much of a pain (and therefore cost) would it be to retrofit cavity trays? I assume the roof, and flashing would need to be taken off, bricks cut out, trays fitted, re-flashed and then re-roofed :eek:

or, is there another solution? could we for example seal the brickwork to try to and limit future absorption? of course the bricks would need a good oppertunity to dry out beforehand ... roll on the summer :D

This must be a common problem with conservatories then? I thought the company who fitted mine done a good job, but, maybe not.

they probably have done a good job. it's just unfortunate that you have porous bricks.

at this stage i would try a waterproof breathable coating before trying something as radical as a cavity tray and see how you get on

what would you reccomend as a coating? something that wouldn't have to be re-applied that oftent would be best.

Also, presumably I wouldn't have to do the complete rear wall, perhaps only up to the down pipe as seen in the above picture?

Also, I think I would need some scaff put up over top of the conservatory, do you reckon this is expensive?

Thanks for all your help.

thompsons water seal or similar.

you won't need scaffolding. the finial decoration is removable so a small tower and some scaffold boards is all you need.

or if you're handy remove the two roof panels and erect a ladder to paint the sealant on.

My conservatory will be against a solid 1920's North-West facing wall. What should I do to avoid a similar problem? Do porous bricks tend to be used for solid walls?

Gary

garyo said:
My conservatory will be against a solid 1920's North-West facing wall. What should I do to avoid a similar problem? Do porous bricks tend to be used for solid walls?Gary

Based on the advice above ask them to fit cavity trays even if you have to pay more, it seems logical now to me.

Oh well live and learn...

I have a feeling that a co. who installed cav. trays would be at a disadvantage when pricing against most others who appear not to even consider it :rolleyes: .......How many ask @ the survey stage about prevailing wind and how many punters are aware of it`s rain laden consequences :?:

No brick wall is waterproof, water will find it way in any brick built wall, hence the cavity and cavity trays.

Solid walls are a different kettle of fish, no cavity for a tray to be fitted!

I never fitted a cavity tray in any of my conservatories, asked the customer about the wall, gave them the option of having them but all turned them down. (Due to cost)

Bit like the ol' chestnut, "how do I keep my conservatory cool" they say "Aircon" I say "How much" They say "For a decent remote system say £1,500" thats normally the end of the conversation.

In that case I think I'll just clean up any pointing while I'm up there doing the flashing, and then see how it fairs through the winter.

Just out of curiosity....
Say if the bricks had been rendered...would you still need a cavity tray?..Or would it improve the situation somewhat.
Cheers,
MArty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back