Damp bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I hope this is the correct forum.
Basically I noticed a very slow drip coming from a door sill between my house and my conservatory.
My conservatory is 5 years old, the house is 10, timber construction with brick-leaf.
I cut away at the plaster within the conservatory and found the original external wall of the house to be dry. I then cut away the plasterboard that covered the original door sill and found the damp to be coming through the brickwork itself, in particular the air vents you find between some rows of bricks. The drip is very slow but the line of mortar between the brick and the metalwork to the door sill is wet.
It should be noted that the weather here has been very windy and wet, the rain has been coming in sideways for over 24 hours.
The leadwork between the house and conservatory looks intact so I can only assume the water is coming through air vents further up the wall or through badly pointed joints.
Has anyone got any advice on how to attack this?
2lqhhx.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you pull the camera away a couple of feet and show an image with a better visual perspective?

Can you pull the camera away a couple of feet and show an image with a better visual perspective?
Sorry, will do as soon as I can get back to the house.

In the meantime, what you are looking at is a picture from inside my conservatory, looking up and back to the original house wall above my dining room door lintel. The white to the bottom is the uPVC door frame followed by a painted white metal lintel. Then there is the bottom of the first line of bricks above the door, some wooden strapping for the plaster board, then what remains of my conservatory walls!
I've posted this elsewhere and it would appear the water is meant to come out there, weep holes from above door lintels etc, except, with my conservatory being there, there is nowhere for the water to go, resulting in it pi$$ing out the weep hole on to the plaster board.
Although it has been there for 5 years, I don't recall us having this persistent rain from an easterly direction for so long resulting in this much water running down the inside of the wall.
I'm contacting the conservatory company tomorrow, but I fully expect I'm going to have to pay for remedial work myself, as in getting the bricks at the conservatory roof line removed and proper cavity trays inserted with the bricks being replaced, ensuring no more water can travel that far down the inside of the wall in future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back