Damp/Water ingress from chimney?

D

Deleted 198600

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I haven't seen a topic which covers my problem

1930s build, semi detached with bathroom (no external walls) on the wall which adjoins next door. The problem of water (condensation? rainwater?) in the loft space has been of an ongoing concern, but to give an idea of the current issue, the other day I felt droplets of water coming from the ceiling in the bathroom, which was (and has been for a while) sagging and was soft to the touch. Went into the loft. Water running slowly down each side of the chimney stack right above the bathroom. It was raining heavily outside. There was a small puddle near to where the leak was coming although but the loft has boards down with a few inches of insulation underneath.

In the last 12 months, we've installed a PIV unit, a new, very powerful, extractor fan, and had a new roof with refurbished chimney. The roofer came round, up on the roof, said there's no obvious visable problem. He thinks its condensation...I'm not so sure.

Any ideas?? Getting pretty desperate!

Sponsored Links
Get up there when it's dry and get up there when it's raining. Is there a difference?

In the loft? Yeah. I carried out some very basic checks; after shower; before shower; raining; dry, and it seemed obvious to me that the ingress came about when it was raining, regardless of whether we'd used the shower or not, so not condensation imo...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back