Damp Wooden Beams in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

House ownership is frustrating!

My garage has a tilted roof with tiles. Inside, you can see the wooden supports running from brackets in the house down to the edge wall of the garage. One of these af the very end is getting damp and going soft.

On the other side of this beam is the exterior. Here we have wooden planks running horizontally and overlappingg from top to bottom. I imagine this is water is getting in as they don't sit flush and they're visible behind the wooden supports inside the garage.

My inclination is to remove these wooden planks (they're painted red for cosmetic reasons burn not treated) and install some sort of waterproof barrier between them and the support beams in the garage.

There is a blue material visible when looking up at the roof of the garage when inside. It's everywhere but on this end that's getting damp. I imagine it's waterproofing? The words on t read klober span.

Does this all sound about right? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
on the left you can see the untreated rear of the red painted wood from the front.

Last edited:
Its a very flat pitch anyway with small tile headlaps. But without seeing any other pics it appears to be entering via the verge under and over the undercloak. I expect its damp under the tiles elsewhere though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back