Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1900's terrace house which I bought Jan 06. It needed damp proofing and this was done in Feb 06.

In October 06 I had the roof replaced as the tiles were falling off. Recently I have been getting mould in the bathroom just above the skirting board on the outside wall in the courner and above the window. Also there is mould in a built in cupboard in the back bedroom on the outside wall near to the ceiling, and at the bottomof ths stairs.

Initially I went into the loft and saw lots of water droplets on the underside of the felt but got a roof vent put in which has cured the droplets. However the damp is still there. The lady who lives in the house opens the bathroom window after use but dries her washing in the bathroom.

I have spoke to a damproofing company on the phone and they told me it was condensation. If this is the case how can I control it?

Sponsored Links
yes it is condensation caused by the occcupier

draping wet washing about the house is a dreadful source of damp.

You can never make a house dry if the occcupiers insist on doing it. There is no point in trying.

We had someone on here recently who drapes wet washing about his flat and uses a dehumidifier, and it is still constantly damp

A vented tumble drier or a washing line is needed.
Or smash all the windows so there is a constant strong flow of fresh air throughout the house

You can fit an extractror fan in the bathroom wired so it is on all the time with a humidity sensor, that will help. If you make it manually controllable the occupier will probably turn it off.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back