Damp!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
So if I just keep the window open and let the room ventilate, the problem will go away?

i would say so, and move the wardrobe to another part of the room,
the damp at the cill looks like condensation off the window draining on to the cill and soaking into the wall.

and get extractor fans fitted in your bathroom and kitchen,

see some info below:

The moisture in the air comes from a number of sources within the house. Water vapour is produced in relatively large quantities from normal day to day activities - a 5 person household puts about 10 kg of water into the air every day (without taking into account any heating) - i.e.

breathing (asleep) 0.3 kg
breathing (awake) 0.85 kg
cooking 3 kg
personal washing 1.0 kg
washing and drying clothes 5.5 kg
heating - especially paraffin and flueless gas heaters. For every litre of paraffin burnt over one litre of moisture vaporises into air. Every carbon fuel produces some amount of water from combustion.
(1 kg of water equates to about 1 litre)

Sponsored Links
If you add some insulation to the external facing walls of the building you will probably get rid of the problem, maximum requirement would be a 50mm thickness of insulation (PIR board) + plasterboard face 15mm, or you could take the risk and try a 25mm board, but for the sake of 25mm you would likely bring the building up to current building reg standards (not that there is any requirement for you to do so), but you may find the you start to extend the solution throughout the house as the energy savings can be pretty enticing, not to mention doing your bit for the environment.

One other thing, at this time move the wardrobe slightly away from the wall to encourage air circulation.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back