Damp!

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently renovated house has had damp showing through the paint. My damp proofing contact reckons its because of a lean-to outside with old lead and recommended lead-mate/silicone to solve it. I'm pretty sceptical this was the problem but went ahead and did it anyway.

The wall has been sanded and re-painted about 6 times now over a few weeks and my damp guy tells me it's the wall drying out and to keep at it. Is it possible it's actually rising damp and needs injecting?

The photos below show the wall and the plasterboard reveal, and also the lead outside

*the gutter is in order and does have a stop end

Sponsored Links
Rising damp would suggest damp from the bottom up, your pictures don't suggest this so say no to the rising damp and injection theory.
By the looks of you have water penetrating through the gap between the wall and door and perhaps the bricks have become permanently damp. Suspect first the mastic seal filling this joint, then the render around the area as this may be full of hairline cracks and also check that lead flashings for holes, breaks and tears. The lead appears to need dressing down in places so pay particular attention to this and the gutter work as if there are any leaks that will certainly be culprit...pinenot :)

Thanks for the ideas. Well I removed the large glass panel to access the lead and it seems good, underneath seems very dry and there are no cracks despite it being one continuous length. The lead-mate seal above the lead is my work and recent, I was very thorough so will trust it (for now). I also checked out the pebbledash and it seems solid with no obvious cracking and its not blown.

I have renewed the silicone seal along the aluminium frame/wall joint.

The odd bit is that the damp is all about waist to chest high (but creeps higher on the plasterboard reveal) and then absolutely dry and fine above this... Which is all still BELOW the lead.

Perhaps I also have a rising damp issue? Or perhaps the damp has been solved and its simply drying out. How long might I expect this to take?

Try running a suitable dehumidifier to reduce the moisture, first this may be all you need...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
I'm going to get a dehumidifier in there tomorrow and run it all week! The door leads into a small lean-to area with a glass roof. In the outside photo you can see the door on the right hand side of the photo.

If your hiring a commercial unit, ask the hire company how long and what conditions to run it under. Normally one day (24hr.) is sufficient...pinenot :)

Would a £50 B&Q type one be sufficient? I just googled around and they suck up 300ml a day compared to the 8L the pro ones do. Any ideas?

Well you certainly won't hire a commercial unit at that price, whether it will be sufficient remains to be seen...pinenot :)

1. Could you take some more interior pics of the kitchen wall above the worktop, and between the door, including the kit. window.
And outside of the whole rear elevation.
And the whole kit. window.

2. Judging by the possible splash,staining pattern, is water overflowing off the main roof or its guttering? Pic please.

3. Where the lead discharges into the gutter a "Kickout" might be needed - (google kickout pics).

4. The plastered wall below the lead - what condition is it in?

5. The opening sash ( by the downpipe) and its frame, are they both of the same installation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back