Insulating solid brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to renovate a (Victorian?) terrace house on the south coast. The outside walls are 9" solid brick. Damp from bad guttering and pointing have damaged the plaster. Once these sources of damp have been tackled, there will still be occasional driving rain wetting the bricks. I want to replace the damaged plaster with phenolic insulated plasterboard.

• How should I attach these to solid brick? (I shall be using resilient metal strips for noise insulation elsewhere, can I use these on exterior walls?)

Should I use green board (cement) on the window reveals?

As there is no visible damp course (just rendering over the bottom 2 or 3 courses) and while I've got the plaster off, should I just go ahead and inject the bottom of the walls with silicone?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. In particular, I was thinking of these galvanised steel resilient bars for mounting the phenolic plasterboard to the exterior walls. I was also thinking of using foil-backed plasterboard on resilient bars to add some noise and sound insulation to party walls. Also use them for new ceilings.

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/installation_resilient_bar.html

Sponsored Links
My surveyor says that solid floors can cause problems with tanking seals and recommends replacing the rotten timber and wrapping the joist ends in polythene. Is this new thinking or should I change engineer and go solid floor?

Your Surveyor has presumably actually visited your house before making his/her comments - I would suggest you take that advice seriously before getting advice off the forum where no-one has the advantage of seeing the full circumstances that advice was given in.

Sorry but the downside of a forum is that the context of anyones comments is going to be limited to the information that is posted. And if relevant information is unknowingly omitted you may end up with the wrong answers.

For what it is worth I have specified solid floors in more properties than I can remember and it is often a sensible solution. But I would want to see the actual property if a Surveyor is suggesting not to make it solid.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, he says the house has rising damp (I have seen it above 1.2m above floor level), missing gutters, damp in the roof etc etc. I have read that the weight of a solid floor can raise the pressure behind the damp and make it worse.

Will probably take the advice that I am paying for and inject a damp proof cream, tank to above 2m (or even the ceiling height), repair the wood floor, replace the gutters, rebuild/cap the chimney, cap the party walls and hope for a dry spring. Apart from doing a good impression of a submarine, the structure is basically sound :).

Your Surveyor has presumably actually visited your house before making his/her comments - I would suggest you take that advice seriously before getting advice off the forum where no-one has the advantage of seeing the full circumstances that advice was given in.

Sorry but the downside of a forum is that the context of anyones comments is going to be limited to the information that is posted. And if relevant information is unknowingly omitted you may end up with the wrong answers.

For what it is worth I have specified solid floors in more properties than I can remember and it is often a sensible solution. But I would want to see the actual property if a Surveyor is suggesting not to make it solid.
:) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back