Insulating solid brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house with solid double brick outer walls. Its a semi.

In the HIP it states about this being very inefficient and there will be no insulation etc.

So I'm just speculating about insulating it. What are the options? I know there are plasterboard products available with insulation on the back, and I know about building stud walls - but the thing is, its only a small house and I dont want to loose any more space inside.

Is there any options externally? Next door (attached) is rendered - does this add any insulating properties? Are there renders that do?

The house has had a damp couse injected at some point (plastic bungs outside).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not yet - there were delays associated with the shall-we/shan't-we on-again/off-again extension, and then I had to have a spell in intensive care with a nurse rubbing me down with a damp copy of Approved Document L when I got the quotes.

:cry:

In a month or two, we hope.

In that case, when you feel you have some conclusions, I think a lot of people would be interested if you felt you wanted to post them.

Yes, I would too ban.

It looks to go on pretty thick this stuff - then again i suppose it has to. Just a little worried about it making the house look daft, and the side of the house is actually facing the pavement. There is a virgin TV cabinet against the house wall there too. Am I right in thinking external insulation here would be impossible due to it facing a pavement, and technically not being my land.

In the HIP it states about this being very inefficient and there will be no insulation etc.

Whilst this is true Steve you should really treat any advice in a HIP with a pinch of salt. The people that write these reports are not building professionals and, on the whole, have very little knowledge of construction techniques. Whilst you've not detailed the exact construction of your property, I would hazard a guess that a single, working lad of your age would not get a viable ROI on external insulation in your case.

I know what you mean about them not being written by professionals - theres bits in this report that I can pick out as being wrong, even not being a building professional myself. Must think we're all daft. The drainage stuff is interesting though - maps etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back