Damp

Classic condensation.

Almost all of this can normally be prevented by taking simple changes in how the property is used, and all at no or little cost.

The moist air that settles on the walls is created by the occupants.

Extract steam at source from kitchen and bathrooms. Close kitchen door. Fit fans to these rooms and use them up to 30 minutes after bathing or cooking.

Open other doors to move air around the house

Use heating constant but low. Not high temp on/off cycles.

See other online condensation advice from reputable sources. Council housing department sites or Housing Associations have good advice as many of their properties have condensation issues and occupants with limited means.
Thanks woody, I'll get her to do all that in future.
What's your thought on that positive pressure device. Also the really bad area bottom of stairs he said might be rising damp?

Sponsored Links
An experienced, wrinkly old plumber can detect a leak with a glass of water, provided you can find the stopcock by the gate (some numbskull may have buried or paved over it) or it can be done by a young person with sharp hearing.

It relies upon the garden gate stop tap, not passing any water, when it is fully shut off. Basically - you fill a glass with water, from a tap, holding the glass under the tap spout, then shut the stop tap off. If the water in the glass then goes down, it is being sucked out back down the pipe, via the leak.

51ngi+bC82L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Sponsored Links
Re: potential water leak; a house that has changed hands in the last 2 years should have a water meter. Turn off the stop tap internally and check the spinny disk on the meter. If it's stopped, there is no leak.

Thanks woody, I'll get her to do all that in future.
What's your thought on that positive pressure device. Also the really bad area bottom of stairs he said might be rising damp?
PP fans do work, and are a great solution to problem properties that can't be remedied by other means. They need to be designed and fitted correctly (location) and other passive ventilation may be needed.

The damp at the stair base seems like extreme condensation too. Rising or penetrating damp would not be so extreme and would leave tide marks and yellow stains.

The problem with extreme condensation, is that it can make the wall plaster hygroscopic, which means it will absorb more water from the air to soak the wall even more.

Re: potential water leak; a house that has changed hands in the last 2 years should have a water meter. Turn off the stop tap internally and check the spinny disk on the meter. If it's stopped, there is no leak.
Definitely no water meter.
I read somewhere due to COVID they were not installing them in every property like they should have.

The problem with extreme condensation, is that it can make the wall plaster hygroscopic, which means it will absorb more water from the air to soak the wall even more.
I've spoken to daughter today, she was on about getting the walls skimmed for just paint.
Once she (me) gets the paper off and makes sure everything is dried out, do you see a problem with skimming due to you saying the plaster will be hygroscopic?
Thanks

I've spoken to daughter today, she was on about getting the walls skimmed for just paint.
Once she (me) gets the paper off and makes sure everything is dried out, do you see a problem with skimming due to you saying the plaster will be hygroscopic?
Thanks
See how things are and what the plasterer says once you get the paper off. My last place was Victorian and had considerable damp / mould in some areas when I bought it and I feared the worse when I finally got round to stripping it all off..... needn't have worried as the walls / plaster behind were bone dry. Was classic condensation and multiple layers of wallpaper . Walls were re-skimmed in no time and no more issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back