Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a cottage 3 months ago - built around 1890s. It was damp-proofed in 2000 but when we had a survey, discovered the damp proof work had broken down and skirting in sitting room was rotten. The damp-proofer came in October and did remedial work to the sitting room wall i.e. re-injected damp proof chemical. Two weeks later and as colder, wetter weather has come on and we've had the central heating on, black spots (mould I suppose) have started to appear on the inside of an outside wall. This is particularly bad behind a book case and behind a dresser. Trying to contact Damp proofer to come and have a look, suspect he won't want to come and honour his guarantee and do more remedial work. We can't work out whether it's rising damp, penetrating damp or condensation. Whatever it is we are p****d off and worried about decent furniture and carpets becoming ruined. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please.

PS every house in this village seems to have some kind of damp problem. Maybe underground springs???? How can we find out?

Sponsored Links
Patw said:
PS every house in this village seems to have some kind of damp problem. Maybe underground springs???? How can we find out?

dig a whole and find out.

a well in the graden is also a give away

if it is you may be able to bottle it amd make money.

i also suggest you try a search on the forum, chemical damp proof is not well liked

We can't work out whether it's rising damp

If rising damp is the cause then you probably have defective DPC. Look around the external walls around your house. Usually, the DPC level is 6 or so inches above ground level and is concealed by a slightly broader band of mortar.

You could always locate the mould and check the local area (maybe timber joists, sleeper walls (they should all have DPC).

Sorry if this info isn't accurate (as far as I'm aware it is), but I'm very tired and need sleep. Just thought I'd shed some light on your problem.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Damp behind furniture is often condensation.

How well ventilated is the building?

Do you ever leave wet washing about the house or draped over radiators?

Do you have modern double glazing?

Are there lots of airbricks to ventilate the space under the floor?

If you look under the floorboards, how deep a space do you see?

Is it mud underneath, or dryish soil, or concrete?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back