Damproofing

Sponsored Links
They have treated the damp wall from the floor upwards according to their "report". If the wall is not damp you will get nowhere with them. As to why they didn't offer you a complete solution I don't know?

Your best bet now would be to buy a tub of SBR, a bag of cement and some cheap paint brushes. Strip back the floor covering about 500mm and apply 3 separate coats of SBR/cement slurry on the floor and where the floor and wall meet.

You need to focus on this area:

Screenshot_20220331-103530~2.png

In effect, continuing the barrier down and across the floor. I have used SBR in similar situations with good outcomes but it is messy stuff and you need to work quickly and methodically with good preparation and follow the instructions, but there is nothing "skilled" about it .

I can't see the layout of the property from the photos but personally I would be looking at the entire wall area that is "below ground" and a reasonable area beyond and treating it with slurry - the water is still in the wall and still wants to get out where it can and will track to untreated areas. If you have any suspicions that the floor doesn't have an effective DPM then I would apply one (liquid DPM) - again DIYable.

Finish the walls in sand/cement render with a waterproof additive - another layer of protection, don't let another cowboy stick plasterboard

If you're renovating then now is the time to do it.

They have treated the damp wall from the floor upwards according to their "report". If the wall is not damp you will get nowhere with them. As to why they didn't offer you a complete solution I don't know?

Your best bet now would be to buy a tub of SBR, a bag of cement and some cheap paint brushes. Strip back the floor covering about 500mm and apply 3 separate coats of SBR/cement slurry on the floor and where the floor and wall meet.

You need to focus on this area:

View attachment 265720

In effect, continuing the barrier down and across the floor. I have used SBR in similar situations with good outcomes but it is messy stuff and you need to work quickly and methodically with good preparation and follow the instructions, but there is nothing "skilled" about it .

I can't see the layout of the property from the photos but personally I would be looking at the entire wall area that is "below ground" and a reasonable area beyond and treating it with slurry - the water is still in the wall and still wants to get out where it can and will track to untreated areas. If you have any suspicions that the floor doesn't have an effective DPM then I would apply one (liquid DPM) - again DIYable.

Finish the walls in sand/cement render with a waterproof additive - another layer of protection, don't let another cowboy stick plasterboard

If you're renovating then now is the time to do it.

Thanks a lot for that, much appreciate detailed info. All planned for this weekend. Info about render is very valuable. I've attached the plan, area where treament was done marked in green, utily was converted with new floor and DPM

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Don't try and hide your eejit response about removing the "felt" - and the pictures- I've got it copied in my reply . Just enjoy the day - it's your day.:ROFLMAO:All fool's day. Don't get abusive , your posts will be deleted. Just keep taking the meds.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
OP,

at the rear of the house you are much deeper than 500mm below ground level - thats why i referred to it as a half cellar so it will be treated as a cellar should be treated.
The name of the room (kitchen or utility etc.) is irrelevant.

Ref the flue soot issue:
to remove flue soot you use a wire brush, and then a very stiff, dry scrubbing brush - no liquid of any kind is used while scrubbing clean.
If SBR or similar are needed after scrubbing then apply in two coats, first coat to dry - when the second coat is tacky then a render of 3:1 sand & lime is applied.

Don't try and dig your way out of your mistakes. Your duplicity defines you

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back