Danfoss HS3 like-for-like replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace our HS3 with a more reliable make/model,as I seem to be replacing it every couple of years.
I realise I'd have to replace the entire unit (valve & actuator) but I'd like to know whether these valves are "universal" with regards to the wiring, and if so what model do you folks recommend?
The colours on the HS3 are blue, orange, grey & white/brown.

Sponsored Links
1. You'd have to make sure the replacement is the same size. Most common are 22 mm compression fittings, but there are others.
2. My preference is the Honeywell V4073. However, Honeywell use a finer thread on their compression nuts than some other makers, so you might have to remove the old olives and nuts from the pipes leading to the Danfoss valve and replace with the (supplied) Honeywell ones.
3. Standard wire colours are:
3a. Brown to power the valve's motor.
3b. Blue - neutral
3c. Yellow / green - earth
3d. Grey to common side of the the internal micro switch. Usually made live by a thermostat.
3e. Orange to the other side of the internal micro switch. Usually provides a live to make the boiler fire.
3f. White - usually only on 28 mm valves, to the other side of the internal microswitch.

1. You'd have to make sure the replacement is the same size. Most common are 22 mm compression fittings, but there are others.
2. My preference is the Honeywell V4073. However, Honeywell use a finer thread on their compression nuts than some other makers, so you might have to remove the old olives and nuts from the pipes leading to the Danfoss valve and replace with the (supplied) Honeywell ones.
3. Standard wire colours are:
3a. Brown to power the valve's motor.
3b. Blue - neutral
3c. Yellow / green - earth
3d. Grey to common side of the the internal micro switch. Usually made live by a thermostat.
3e. Orange to the other side of the internal micro switch. Usually provides a live to make the boiler fire.
3f. White - usually only on 28 mm valves, to the other side of the internal microswitch.
I think you’re getting confused with 2 port wiring? From Honeywell wiring I have the following:

Blue - Neutral
Green/yellow - Earth
Orange - Switched live for firing boiler and pump
Grey - Hot water off
White - Heating On

@andyste - HS3 could have a brown instead of white

Attachments

• 1F09AFB6-0EE2-4E99-9EB3-8BF5436ABBC9.jpeg
    1F09AFB6-0EE2-4E99-9EB3-8BF5436ABBC9.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 321
I think you’re getting confused with 2 port wiring? From Honeywell wiring I have the following:

Blue - Neutral
Green/yellow - Earth
Orange - Switched live for firing boiler and pump
Grey - Hot water off
White - Heating On

@andyste - HS3 could have a brown instead of white
Cheers, the HS3 has a white/brown stripe wire which I assume is "heating on". It has no earth either.

So am I right in saying that all 3 port valves, regardless of make/model, will have 4 or 5 wires that serve the same "purpose" but not necessarily standardised colours? And as long as I wire up the new one up with this in mind then I'll be okay. I.E swap the old "heating on" wire for the new "heating on" etc, and not rely on colours alone.

Sponsored Links
Just found a HS3 manual and these are the wires explained:
Blue: neutral
White/brown: HTG call
Orange: HWS call
Grey: HWS sat.

I guess HTG is heating and HWS is hot water but what is the grey wire for?

Do all 3 port valve actuators have the same wires (but not necessarily the same colours)?

Answered my own question. Looking at a Drayton 3 way valve and its essentially the same wiring ("sat." means satisfied).

So my last question is, any recommendations for make/model? Drayton, Honeywell, Corgi, or stick with the Danfoss?

I’ve replaced some Drayton’s recently that aren’t that old. Danfoss seem good, Honeywell used to be one of the best, but not so much anymore.

The Danfoss valves are rotary shoe, and quite often the seal in the spindle leaks and can wreck the actuator. For some reason, they also seem to be slow opening. Maybe Honeywell are not the same quality they used to be, but are still superior to most.
keep clear of the Drayton, you will be changing actuators every 13 months ( just out of warranty )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back