Danfoss motorised valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few weeks ago our CH came on when HW only was selected. I seemed to fix this by moving the lever on our Danfoss HSA3 3 port valve a few times, backwards and forwards between Auto and Manual.

A few weeks later and it has happened again, so the same as before, I seem to have freed this by moving the lever.

I see lots of posts about motorised valves and I know I can replace just the actuator, if this is the problem, as it can be unscrewed from the valve.

Before taking a look at this, last night the motorised valve has started clicking every few seconds, but only when HW and CH are both selected. If one or the other are selected on their own, it doesn't click. At the moment HW and CH are working as expected.

Just wondering if the clicking noise gives any more clue as to whether its the actuator that is the problem?

Could a low level of central heating inhibitor cause the valve to stick?

The motorised valve is about 5 years old.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks.

So if I replaced just the actuator, it may burn out again if the base gets stiff again?

Is 5 years about the life expectancy of one of these?

I see from the Forum that some people are not big fans of Danfoss valves. Any suggestions about replacing it with another make?

With these actuators it's kind of a lightbulb syndrum you'll get one last for years and one that lasts 5 mins so you pays your money and takes your chance IMHO.Bob

Sponsored Links
The synchronous motors do conk out a lot but they are easy to change. However you will find that the retailer will warn you that if it turns out to be a fault with the actual valve, they won't accept the motor back. The 2 or 3 I've replaced have always worked fine with a new motor fitted but they were Honeywell not Danfoss. If I was you I'd change the motor first and if it turns out to be a valve fault, keep the new motor for spare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back