Danfoss Motorised Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
""when CH demanded first valve has to move to CH ( and or HW + CH ) position, and this then mechanically triggers a micro switch to tell boiler to refer to room stat and decide to turn on boiler!! ?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2905485#2905485#ixzz2hX4xefGr""

just realised this is not strictly true - bit more complex - as boiler will be on / could be on just for HW, then demand comes for CH,

um - does system check room stat first? yes it should do as no point to move valve is rooms warm enough -

so once stat give go ahead it tells valve to move and you have CH or valve triggers micro switch and then boiler is fired up and pump starts.

whew

I might have a good understanding of how my CH system works by time I have fixed it!! lol

Sponsored Links
Yes meter setting 500v ac range one probe on wire being tested, one probe on any 'neutral' wire (blue). It don't matter which probe you use, its alternating current.
Remember this motor/valve is driven against a return spring, so when power removed, the spring will unwind the motor.
The lever is provided to wind the valve to mid position where it is engaged on a latch. This is to prevent air locks when filling the system.
Unfortunately you cant wind it all the way to CH but with HW off (which makes the grey live) it should go to CH providing you can get it to mid position.
If the valve is not moving from HW to mid position, then it could be due to any of the following.
(1)No power from programmer to room stat
(2)No power from room stat
(3)Faulty micro switch contacts in valve head
(4)Faulty motor
(5)Stiff/stuck spindle
From the above (4) or (3) is the most likely problem
Testing the white wire eliminates (1( and (2)

Yes meter setting 500v ac range one probe on wire being tested, one probe on any 'neutral' wire (blue). It don't matter which probe you use, its alternating current.** no worries - voltage checking is go!! "
Remember this motor/valve is driven against a return spring, so when power removed, the spring will unwind the motor.** spring was working - although it would not return out of the slot - now when I take lever out of latch ( left there to provide forced HW+CH ) it does not spring back - broken!!?? )
The lever is provided to wind the valve to mid position where it is engaged on a latch. This is to prevent air locks when filling the system.
Unfortunately you cant wind it all the way to CH but with HW off (which makes the grey live) it should go to CH providing you can get it to mid position.
If the valve is not moving from HW to mid position, then it could be due to any of the following.
(1)No power from programmer to room stat * room stat is battery - ok - and lights up **

(2)No power from room stat s** se on white ( actually B&W ) wiree above - after manic running up and dwon stairs - daughter returned - so asked her to "activate " room stat - ie rotate to turn red ( active") light back on - as it would come on then go off after a few seconds - so with my assistant on stat duty i'm at the pump and when stat light on the pump, valve, 240v is all on - for a few seconds then off ( as stat light goes off.

SOOO

stat is "working" - sending ON signal to pump / valve but then system is shutting down...
(3)Faulty micro switch contacts in valve head - ** maybe - but this is "new" actuator **
(4)Faulty motor**see above**

(5)Stiff/stuck spindle** definitely not - the old one WAS stiff( could not turn by hand ) - and I thought Eureka!! I had replaced component causing CH to not work - the new one installed moves freely**
From the above (4) or (3) is the most likely problem
Testing the white wire eliminates (1( and (2)

SO - summary!?

Programmer is live, sending HW and CH demans o tank and or room thermostat.

room thermostat is sending signal to boiler, valve and motor ( or however the chain of command is ) - thunderbirds are go..... then not!

If we assume ( for now ) that actuator, valve and pump are ok - boiler is obviously ok ( heating HW or CH is exactly the same then...

we are left with the room stat - it "works" but turns itself off...

any way to further check? I'll google / ebay it for price

I guess it could be the programmer - but that certainly seems to be working - works for HW so unlikey to just be faulty on the CH " channel" ??

Lucky we have a gas fire too - having to turn the HW stat up tp try to keep boiler working to divert HW to the rads via locked valve is getting tedious and some very hot HW!!

Sponsored Links
sigh

system seems to tire of my meddling and shut itself off after too many button presses!!

for a while I had voltage at both grey and orange wires

state 1: grey 240, white ( B&W ) 0, orange 0

state 2; grey 170, white 0, orange 240

state 3; short bursts of 240 on white when room stat light on... / also when I press "? reset" button on Honey well control box adjacent to HW tank, pump , valve.

confused... :confused: :confused:

IF you suspect the room stat acting up. then take it out of the equation
Its only a switch. link the 'live' in to the 'switched live'out.
This is for trial purposes only, if valve moves to CH only and boiler lights it cant switch off at the desired room temperature.

Can you confirm with both HW and CH turned off there is 240v on the 'grey'
This has to be present when CH is turned on so when valve reaches mid position the powered grey takes over from the white when its power is dropped.
Some times room stat and power on white is ok and and if no problem with micro switch or motor valve will move to mid position but no further.

Or is it a situation that valve does not move at all from HW position.
For it to move programmer must supply power
Room stat must switch the power on.
The white wire must be live at terminal box.
The micro switch contacts must switch the power to motor.
The motor must not be faulty
Not forgetting to complete the circuit the 'neutral' wire must be present and connected.
Can you hear or see or feel any movement from the valve when you turn CH on only.

Can you confirm with both HW and CH turned off there is 240v on the 'grey' ** YES **

This has to be present when CH is turned on so when valve reaches mid position the powered grey takes over from the white when its power is dropped.
Some times room stat and power on white is ok and and if no problem with micro switch or motor valve will move to mid position but no further.

The white wire must be live at terminal box. ** whit wirn NOT live until demand from Room stat *

Not forgetting to complete the circuit the 'neutral' wire must be present and connected. * yes - I used it to test!! **

Can you hear or see or feel any movement from the valve when you turn CH on only.
** yes - as long as room stat is activated ( red light on) the valve and pump turn on

This is for trial purposes only, if valve moves to CH only and boiler lights it cant switch off at the desired room temperature.

FOrgive my ignorance - not sure what you mean here.

Do you mean in the junction terminal box link orange to grey?

grey to neutral?

I'm guessing!!

Can you confirm with both HW and CH turned off there is 240v on the 'grey' ** YES **

The white wire must be live at terminal box. ** whit wirn NOT live until demand from Room stat *

Not forgetting to complete the circuit the 'neutral' wire must be present and connected. * yes - I used it to test!! **

** yes - as long as room stat is activated ( red light on) the valve and pump turn on

as stated before - white ( actually from my actuator it is a black and white wire ) is NOT powered until room stat works..

That's because the room stat chooses to apply power to your white wire if the room is too cold!

FOrgive my ignorance - not sure what you mean here.

Do you mean in the junction terminal box link orange to grey?

grey to neutral?

I'm guessing!!
No! at the room stat. its a temperture controlled switch with contacts that open and close according to the pre set temperture and if the contacts don't close and make contact the no powers comes out.
You have a 'live' wire going to it from the programmer and another wire called a 'switched live' coming from it going to the valves white wire
If you link or bridge the two, you have by passed the workings of the room stat.(if the stats contacts are faulty it won't matter cause they're no longer part of the circuit)
You might be able to just have both on the same terminal to link them.
Or a wire across from one to the other.
If there is a blue neutral wire there,which there is on some room stats, make sure you don't use that, as that would create a short circuit and blow the fuse.
Alternatively with boiler fuse removed and power off test across the two wires for continuity using the 'resistance' mode on meter. Ohms
Test meter first by touching both probes together and pointer should move (deflect) across the scale.(full scale deflection)
With the probes in place turning the switch up and down will open and clos the contacts. If the pointer does not move fully across when contacts are closed, it would indicate dirty/burnt contacts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back