Danfoss RMT230 or RMT230T room thermostat - technical question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have a Danfoss thermostat, unfortunately I am not sure of the specific type but I think it might be either an RMT 230 or RMT 230T. Photos attached.

A door was heavily slammed several times on the thermostat during a rather crazy playtime. When I realised what was happening I checked the thermostat: From outside it looks intact as you can see from the photos. However, when I turn the dial it doesn’t click at any temperature so it’s not turning on anymore. Something might have broken or shifted inside.

I want to check how it looks inside, probably I am able to fix it.

We live in a flat that was built in the 90s - I assume it is still the original thermostat from the 90s, too!

My questions before we take it apart:
  1. Is there any chance that this thermostat contains mercury?
  2. Or anything else that might be harmful if it is broken and we touch or inhale it?
  3. Is it an RMT 230 or RMT 230T thermostat or another type?
Thank you in advance,
Andras
E57DDF9D-156E-4DFD-91E6-0E2B844FE3DC.jpeg
02CF82DA-1B63-4128-BD02-B674C4317731.jpeg

Sponsored Links
  1. Is there any chance that this thermostat contains mercury?
  2. Or anything else that might be harmful if it is broken and we touch or inhale it?
  3. Is it an RMT 230 or RMT 230T thermostat or another type?
1. No. It is just a mechanical switch.
2. Only electricity.
3. Not T. Not sure if any other models look the same as RMT 230.

The only way to tell is by removing the front cover, there is a label inside, the RMT230 will only have 2 wires,RMT230T has three wires as it requires a neutral, only the 230T will click when switching on and off

Sponsored Links
Hi @ianmcd , @RandomGrinch

Thank you for your quick replies.
Do you happen to know if either RMT230 or RMT230T could have contained mercury or any other hazardous material if these are from the 90s?
Or in these models they never used mercury at all?

Thanks again!

Nothing to worry about, if it is broken turn the power off and replace it, they are about £20 to buy

The only way to tell is by removing the front cover, there is a label inside, the RMT230 will only have 2 wires,RMT230T has three wires as it requires a neutral, only the 230T will click when switching on and off
Thats interesting Ian, why does the RMT230 not click?, there's is another thread on here re a Drayton RTS1 which does the same, I thought they were all mechanical/electrical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back