Danish Oil then Hard Wax a worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ordered some 40mm thick Oak Worktops and the supplier recommended 2 coats of Danish Oil on every surface before fitting and 2 coats on visible surfaces after fitting.

I'm OK with that working on the basis that the more coats the better as more will sink into the wood.

My Son has the same worktops but after 2 years he got fed up with re-oiling every 3 months and applied a coat of Fiddes Hard Wax instead. He said the finish is much better and harder wearing.

At £57 a tin it should be !

He hasn't had any reaction between the oil and the wax and he's very pleased with the finish.

So I was thinking of applying the 4 coats of Danish Oil followed by a coat of Fiddes Hard Wax to finish it off.

But their web site http://www.fiddes.co.uk/product.php?name=hardwaxoil states to remove all previous finishes before applying their Hard Wax.

Any recommendations what is best with brand new Oak worktops ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I used osmo top oil, [5 coats] tops still fine after three years. Danish oil is not up the the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back