Dark patch after replastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a plastering problem I was hoping you could help me with.

I had a leak in my bathroom a few months ago. The bathroom was sorted out through insurance, the leak was stopped but the water had leaked into the cupboard next door and through to the living room wall next to that. I got the dehumidifiers in and after almost a month, the dampness in the living room wall/cupboard had gone down to below 20%.

I've now had my living room walls re-skimmed so I can get it redecorated but theres a big dark patch of plaster (about a foot high) at the foot of the wall where the dampness originally was!

The guys doing the plastering can't figure out how the dampness has come back - a damp reading has shown it is 100% damp and even worse, it's shown that the concrete floor below my laminate flooring is 50% damp. Apparently even my nearby kitchen floor is 50% damp.

Now there's only three things I can think of:

1. A special type of plaster or substance should have been applied to a wall that has just recovered from dampness.

or

2. The leak had got under the laminate flooring, spread around the house but the main source is under the living room wall hence the dark patch there (there were no other dark patches in the living room)

3. It's rising damp.

If it's rising damp I'm in trouble as the insurance won't help me. Can anyone tell what it might be? I'm at my wits end!!

Thanks

Rajan

Sponsored Links
Where about in the property is the bathroom?
What is the external environment like, as far as height from room, drainage and openness to weather conditions?
What is below the bathroom?

The bathroom is at the front of the property - it's a ground floor flat so there's nothing below it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back