replastering after DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a process i purchasing a house. The survey as come back with high damp reading. I've just had a damp guy in who recommends a damp proof course. I do no like the idea of them just re-plastering half the wall will this just look rubbish? I'm considering hacking all the plaster off myself then get the DPC done then get a plastering in to plaster all the walls and ceilings. Is this the right way to go? We plan to live upstairs for a while while the downstairs work is getting done. How many hours work would i be looking at to get the ground floor back to brick?

Sponsored Links
OK thank you. Should i get them to just do the half wall then get a prober plasterer in for the skimming?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a dying art. It'll always be there,, maybe the aren't so many wet plasterers as say 50, 60 years ago, ( plenty of daft ones) :LOL:., but there will always be plasterers, the same as roof thatchers, blacksmiths, stonemasons, carpenters, and many other centuries old, highly skilled trades. Materials may vary nowadays in regards to wet plastering,, but the method, tools and objectives are more or less the same, to produce a beautifully finished plastered surface.

in my opinion the wet trade has taken a massive nose dive just about all the new builds are drylined nowdays not float and set like the old days if it wasent for preexisting buildings being renovated there would be a lot of spreads out of work , how many new houses being built are float and set nowdays? i doubt if its even 1 in a hundred sad but true

Thats why i'm worried. I would like nice new walls how good a job is a damp guy likely to do of plastering wall?

I was considering hacking off myself then get the injections done then get a plasterer in i know does a nice job?

how good a job is a damp guy likely to do of plastering wall?
?
no one can really tell you the answer to that it all depends how good the firm is, if its a good firm then they should be able to leave you with a good finish ive seen one or 2 jobs where they have just patched in the bottom and they have done a really bad job ,yes some people do just get the damp proofing done and then get there own plasterer because they know a plasterer who would do it cheaper than the dp company, just make sure that they give you the guarantee

how good a job is a damp guy likely to do of plastering wall?
?
no one can really tell you the answer to that it all depends how good the firm is, if its a good firm then they should be able to leave you with a good finish ive seen one or 2 jobs where they have just patched in the bottom and they have done a really bad job ,yes some people do just get the damp proofing done and then get there own plasterer because they know a plasterer who would do it cheaper than the dp company, just make sure that they give you the guarantee

I assumed that was what they would do just patch in the bottom. So they quote I've received might be to have the walls skimmed after? I'll have to get on to the company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back