Darling....Why am I getting Electric shocks off the Sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok heres my story although I have to say this wasn't my fault (Honest).

One day the missus says she got an electric shock off the sink! I think to myself thats impossible, and told her to be quiet (probably static or something). Anyway several complaints later i agree to get the multimeter out and check the sink ain't live. Suprise Suprise its not! So tell her she's imagining it. The next day I see her jump away from the sink holding her arm 'Its happened again' she cries.

Ok now I begin to think about it, I checked the sink again and 0Volts. The sink is earthed as you would expect. The electric must be coming from somewhere else. I check the washing machine ( At this point Im still not convinced, so my checking is not with a meter but with one hand on the sink and the other touching things within reach), washing machine fine, now the cooker Hob ZZZZAAAAAPPPP :oops: It was a sore one. Right enough there was 230Volt between the electric hob and my sink, well earth. I worked out she got the shock off the sink beacause there was always water on the bunker space connecting the hob chasis to the sink.

The strange thing about it all was that the hob remained live even with the isolation switch was off. After alot of headscratching and lifting floor boards I find out what has happened. The cable from the hob goes up into the floor boards upstairs and cuts across central heating pipes. The CH pipes had melted the outer and inner insulation. The Live looked as though it had blown up leaving blobs of copper shorting across the earth, this resulted in the earth becoming live. So when I switch the isolation switch off the hob was still live due to the earth being LIVE! Why didn't the fuse blow? Well thats a mystery to me too, give me RCDs any day!

Anyway the hobs gone and has been replaced with a nice GAS one. Leaving me with a spare 30A fuse way :p

Sponsored Links
i should say the fuse never went because of a poor earth connection to the heating pipes.

you can check this with your meter from a known earth to your c/h pipes check it on ohms and see what you get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back