Distance from electric hob to sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm a newbiw DIY'er but have just started to refit my old kitchen with new units and worktops. I am wanting to replace an old free standing gas cooker with a worktop/cabinet installed electric hob and oven. My kitchen is very small and so the hob/oven would need to be close to the sink. Is there any minimum distance I must keep the hob/oven away from the sink or any other water pipes. I live in a standard semi detached house and will be running a new supply to the oven/hob via all the necessary consumer box, isolating switch etc.
Any and all advice is very gratefully appreciated.
Sincere regards
Graham

I'VE JUST FOUND THE INFO, PLEASE IGNORE MY POST. THANKS

Sponsored Links
As to Electrical regulations there is no minimum distance but I am told there are some Plumbing regulations which do.

However the Part P regulations will mean it is not really a DIY job as costs more to DIY than get it done by registered electrician.

Indeed . read this and decide if you really want to DIY this //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

Also remember that all new electrical work should meet BS7671 as a minimum and your new circuit would need to conform with the latest version of that standard. If you are DIYing it you'll need all of the correct test gear to check and certify your installation.

I felt like restarting the whole "BS7671 is not mandatory" argument again, but decided against it and deleted the long winded post and just put this instead..

Sponsored Links
Ikea sell (or sold) a "kitchenette" unit with fridge, hob and sink (IIRC) all built into a 4 foot long unit.

Because I have been bared from one forum for not saying about Part P I am careful to mention it. However I don't really expect people to take much notice. And yes there are exemptions for pre-wired units so if Ikea do these they would not come under Part P they must however carry some marking and off hand can't remember what.

As to water and electric it all depends on design and if a IP68 item was used it could be under water as with a pond pump.

One point to remember is fixed electrical items still can come under Part P even if plugged in.

I wonder what the IP rating of an average electric hob is, considering how often a pan on a hob could boil over - especially if I'm doing the cooking :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back