Dash Cam Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lad is determined not to get caught out by crash for cash scams, so has bought two Garmin dash cams.

He also bought a Garmin OBD power adaptor so he can enable the always-on function.

The adaptor sticks out too much and the cover will not go back on, so he has ordered a low profile 90° extender. This, he hopes, will protrude less, enabling the cover to fit back in place.

OBD2 Extension Cable, Car OBDII Male to Female Extension Cable 16 Pin Low Profile OBDII Flat Ribbon Cable OBD2 Diagnostic Cable Adapter Connector(30cm) https://amzn.eu/d/0ZRYsiL

He has mounted the front cam, and run the cable to the adaptor. I started running the cable to the boot for the rear cam, under sufference as it was freezing and pitch black!

But I'm wondering what the best place will be. I've already run out of cable length, having run the cable at sill level.

Not confident dismantling the car, but I have thought it might possible to feed the cable above the headlining, then run it through one of the grommetty tubey things (I'm sure they have an official name) that take cables and pipes from the roofline into the tailgate, then mount the cam on the rear window.

Matt doesn't seem keen to follow that route and wants to mount it on the parcel shelf. He figures if it is in the way, he'll just unplug it where the supplied lead will be extended to the cam, which will be fixed to the top of the square section parcel shelf casing with velcro pads.

TBH, I prefer my idea, but IDK If the power lead with fitted plug will be able to be threaded through the grommetty tubey thing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could go headlining but its probably a similar distance so the cable may not reach, im not sure if they do extension cables.
I dont think you will get it though the grommets so may have to put up with it popping out near the parcel shelf somewhere, i would say going through the lower section of the car probably makes more sense so it comes up near the rear seat back area.

How about lightly under the lining/door edge rubbers?

Along back to middle of window, allowing enough loose cable for hatch to open/close?

I have always taken the rear one around the headlining, under the rubber, then as you come across the boot hinge area just tucked behind the roof lining again. Usually end up with yards of spare cable, (Vauxhall Zafira Tourer and 2 x Peugeot Partner Teepee's). I wouldn't advise putting on a cloth covered shelf as the Velcro doesn't stick very well. Might have to make a little adaptor to fit it to the rear window with pads.

Sponsored Links
There are longer cables on Ebay and Amazon, just make sure you get the one with correct plug.
Consider 2 things:
1. Left permanently on, those cameras use energy, so make sure he turns them off if he's not using the car for a couple of days.
2. If he leaves the car in dodgy areas the cameras might be stolen.
I have a discreet one that is almost invisible from outside, but once in a bowling car park, it had attracted the attention of some low life.
Good thing I could see the car through the windows.

maybe he should have bought a single unit with forward and rear facing cameras - assuming its a car

Thanks for all your suggestions.

He bought a rear cam because he'd already bought a forward facing cam for the outgoing car.

Back