Dash warning lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was driving my Hyundai i30 the other evening, it was snowing moderately, and a warning light plus triangle lit up. When I restarted a bit later it wasn't on at first but soon came on again. Then if I remember right it went out while still driving. The icon looks like a big weight being dropped on the bonnet! The nearest thing I can find in the manual is an air bag problem. Not concerned, but if anybody has a comment?

Sponsored Links
like a big weight being dropped on the bonnet!
Anything like this one?

Screenshot_20230312-202608_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, probably a radar behind the bumper or grille, that was getting its view obscured by snow.
Yes thanks. I assume the main thing that sets an airbag off is the impact, but maybe there's an obstruction detector to give a early warning.

Yes thanks. I assume the main thing that sets an airbag off is the impact, but maybe there's an obstruction detector to give a early warning.
No. Airbags are usually triggered by a deceleration or "shock" sensor, usually mounted somewhere that doesn't immediately get crushed in a crash (e.g. between the front seats on the transmission tunnel). The radar is what jams on the brakes if it detects an imminent collision, but they're separate, stand-alone systems, so that one isn't dependent on the other working. On some higher-spec cars, the same radar can be used to give "intelligent cruise control", where the car won't get closer than a certain distance to the car in front when the cruise is set.

Airbags are usually triggered by a deceleration or "shock" sensor,
That's what I meant by the impact. But you mentioned radar as (I assumed) having a connection with the airbag. I believe the car has "collision avoidance" capability, and maybe the radar for that was obscured by snow. But the icon looks like airbag, unless it's a common warning for both faults.

That's what I meant by the impact. But you mentioned radar as (I assumed) having a connection with the airbag. I believe the car has "collision avoidance" capability, and maybe the radar for that was obscured by snow. But the icon looks like airbag, unless it's a common warning for both faults.
No, they're likely to be totally separate and independent systems. The symbols for airbags are set out in international regulation, so the manufacturer has to use that symbol for the airbag, but collision avoidance is relatively new, so I'd have to check to see if there's a mandatory symbol for it yet. I'm not sure there is. Post up a photo of it (I assume it self-tests when the ignition is turned on), and then we can be certain.

I think you've cracked it for me. Shots of the dash and handbook attached.
It was the FCA light that came on. Called AEB (assist emergency braking) in my handbook, where it says "When the camera sensor is blocked with snow etc the system may stop, and a warning message appears".
The airbag light is in the bottom strip.

Thanks gents,

Attachments

• Airbag warning light.jpg
    Airbag warning light.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Dash warning lights.jpg
    Dash warning lights.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back