Data and Phone cables to outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can I ask a quick question on this (and I'll be as specific as my limited knowledge allows hahaha)?

I've got an outbuilding which is being made into a bit of an office space, I am running new power to it (probably armoured or "concentric" cable) overhead using a catinary wire.

What's the best way of getting data to and from it? And phone?

There is already a catinary up with intruder alarm cables (shame it is "up" already and I did not think of this before?!) Should I get some good ladders (or some sort of platform as it is 4m ish high) and get the data and phone cables tied to that before I fix it up in place?

Or is there a Cat5 type of data cable that could be run alongside the mains on its catinary? (Shielded of some sort?)

Thanks

Paul

++++++++++++++++
Hello Paul and welcome to the forums.
This is a different question, you have hijacked it.

I will see if I can split your post into a new one,

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
hi paul, you say the overhead has an alarm cable on already! if i was you i would run a seperate overhead for your mains as low voltage should run on its own!
also you will need a heavier duty overhead to carry SWA, for your telephone run a solid core cable with your alarm over head...
4 meters isnt that high is it? but you do wot you feel comfortable with! i would get a large set of step ladders get sum1 to foot them and get the cable ties out!!!

if i were you i'd get some exterior grade cat5 and exterior BT spec (CW1308B) cable then take down your existing alarm cable and put up a run of the exterior spec cat5 and two runs of the exterior BT spec cable.

indoor grade cables are not suitable for long term use outdoors (UV being a big culprit and water a potential one too)

Sponsored Links
Hi

Depending on how critical your data is ,ie ,work or just internet fun you might want to consider using fiber optic's between buildings for data use. This may be worth the cost if your area is prone to lighting strikes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back